Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting iPad Air to iMac using Remote

I have a new iPad Air 2 and I'm trying to connect to an iMac (running Yosemite) to control the music from iTunes. It's a family iMac and has my wife's Apple account so I'm not using Home Sharing when making the connection. Both units are on our home network. When I run Remote on the iPad, I am given an option to Add a Device which brings up a screen with a 4 digit number. I then open iTunes on the iMac and press on the remote icon (which recognizes my iPad); I enter the number and it tells me that the iPad can now control iTunes. So when I go to the Remote app on the iPad, I see the iTunes icon now but there isn't a name underneath! (My iPhone 5 is already connected to the iMac and when I open the Remote app I see the same iTunes icon but underneath is the name of the library on the iMac! The iPhone is able to control the iTunes library on the iMac). When I click on the icon (on the iPad) it appears to try to connect to something but then eventually comes back to say it could not connect to the library!

Any thoughts on how to solve this issue?

Is there a limit on the number of remotes paired with the iMac? I currently have 11 (iPhones and iPads!!). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to see or edit the items that are paired and the only option appears to be "Forget all Remotes"!! I don't want to do that because I'm worried that my iPhone will no longer work!!

I wasn't sure where to post this issue!!

iPad

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 8:59 AM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2014 11:32 AM in response to GMD999

Hey GMD999,

I'm wondering if you have a newer version of Remote on your new iPad Air 2 than you have on your iPhone.

The information I'm finding says it needs Home Sharing to connect.

Remote app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can't connect to iTunes or Apple TV - Apple Support

Check your Home Sharing setup

With Remote 2.0 and later, Remote uses Home Sharing for setup and control with iTunes or Apple TV. For additional information about setting up Remote to control your iTunes library or Apple TV, see About Remote for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

To setup or troubleshoot Home Sharing on Apple TV:

To setup or troubleshoot Home Sharing with iTunes:

Please check out that article for further details.

Take care,

Nubz

Dec 31, 2014 11:51 AM in response to Nubz N.

Hi Nubz,

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, the Apple documentation seems to always suggest that you need to be using Home Sharing to make it work but in fact you don't. I have it working without Home Sharing on several iPhones. As I understand it, Home sharing's basic premise is that all devices use the same Apple ID which is a non starter in our household!

With respect to my Remote issue I decided to try rebooting the iMac, to see if this would resolve the problem. This is the first time it has been rebooted since I did the Yosemite upgrade. Unfortunately the Remote issue is no longer a concern to me because the iMac will not reboot! Since I tried this yesterday morning I have spent many hours trying to resolve this more serious issue. I cannot get the iMac to boot into Safe mode nor into the Recovery mode which provides the OS X Utilities window!! I have been following numerous posts from people that have run into a similar issue when upgrading to Yosemite and I continue to look for a solution.

Hopefully when I resolve this booting issue it will also solve the Remote issue. I suspect the two are related.

Problem connecting iPad Air to iMac using Remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.