Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snapz Pro on Yosemite

It was suggested I ask the question here as Snapz Pro uses QuickTime technology. Basically I wondering if anyone is using Snapz Pro and has used it successfully for making screen shots in Yosemite. It always seems to fail for me, not saving a file. If Snapz Pro isn't working, is there any alternative, any software that will make a screen shot and include the active cursor?

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid 2012 2.6G i7

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 9:39 AM

23 replies

Dec 30, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Kappy

Simple snapshot doesn't include the cursor. QuickTime screen recording is what I have to do. It's can be really tricky sometimes when you need to do something from a full screen app, switch to QT in a different space, activate screen recording, take a rough grab of the area, start the recording, switch back to the app, activate the function you want, stop the recording, find the area you want in the QT file, copy a frame, open Preview, make a file from the clipboard, trim the image to the desired area, and crop it.

Dec 30, 2014 3:42 PM in response to mns579

GGrab only allow specific cursors from its own preferences. I really need the application cursor, which can be very varied. The other annoyed by thing about Grab is that it only seems to make TIFFs and full screens so it's sort of back to having to crop and reformat in Preview, so I may as well go through the QT dance to get the right screen display with the right cursor.

TRied Viola. Found it very cumbersome with its array of shortcuts.

Jan 19, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

RC Concepcion at KelbyOne came up with a fix that has worked for us, but it is only just been tested on a couple of computers so I don't know if it will work for everyone.

You will need to go into Preferences and change the Scratch file location under Advanced settings. The default location was causing problems but if you will change it to your User location it should work. See the bottom part of the panel. I hope that helps

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Regarding audio support not working in 10.10.x, I'm posting here instead of at http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/story/Ambrosia-Software-Releases-Snapz-Pro-X-254 or http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133336, because Ambrosia's registration is broken (invalid email).

The problem is that Ambrosia hasn't got around to signing their kext yet, which is now required in 10.10.x.

To work around this, add kext-dev-mode=1 as a kernel flag and restart;

[mac09:~] me% sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

[mac09:~] me% cat /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

[mac09:~] me%

Snapz Pro on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.