Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages - When alert pops up and i click view doesn't go to app

Hi,

i have an iPhone 5c on the latest software as just updated it - i like that when my screen is unlocked to have alerts rather than banners for messages and iMessages. when that popped up and i click view it used to move from any app i was on and open the message app to view it. now when i do this it opens up a pop up where i can reply - i don't want this can i turn it off? my partner has the same phone and it doesn't happen on his? HE

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 12:00 PM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2014 1:15 PM in response to dannibecky0762

Hi dannibecky0762,

Happy New Year! You can change the specific ways notifications are handled for each app in the Settings app on your iPhone. The resources below explain how to do this:

Understanding notifications on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925

Understanding notifications on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notifications provide alerts and related information for iOS apps. You can view notifications in the Notification Center. This article provides an overview of notifications and some simple troubleshooting steps.

iOS apps can provide three types of notifications:

• Sounds: An audible alert plays.
  • Alerts/Banners: An alert or banner appears on the screen.
  • Badges: An image or number appears on the application icon.

You can access Notification Center from any screen, including the Lock screen. Just swipe down from the top of the screen.
User uploaded file

You can tap a notification in the Lock screen to open the related application.

By default Notification Center will show you Today view, which gives you a summary of what you need to know about for the day and a peek at tomorrow. The new All and Missed views let you see all your alerts or just those you haven't addressed in the last 24 hours. Swipe right while on Today view to see the All view. Swipe right while on All view to see Missed view.

User uploaded file

You can view which apps provide notifications and adjust notification settings using Settings > Notification Center.
For additional information, refer to the user guide for your device.

To see recently updated apps, go to the All view and scroll down to App Store.

Get help

Push notifications require an active Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Notifications use Wi-Fi only when a cellular connection is unavailable. Firewalls and proxy servers may affect your ability to receive notifications. For more information, see Unable to use Apple Push Notification service (APNs).

If you're not receiving notifications for a specific app, try these steps:

1. Verify that the app supports notifications.
  2. After installing an app or restoring a backup to a different iOS device, open the app to begin receiving notifications. If the app requires entering or logging in to an account, you will need to do this before receiving notifications.
  3. Check Settings > Notification Center to ensure that the app is configured for notifications. If notifications do not appear in the Notification Center, verify that the Notification Center setting for the app is enabled.

Learn more

If you have an app that could send frequent notifications (for example, Mail with high-traffic email accounts, Twitter apps, and so on), your iOS device could wake frequently to display the notification (and affect battery life). You can disable Show on Lock Screen for a particular app in Settings > Notification Center > <app name>.

You can customize what you see on your Today view. Go to Settings > Notification Center
and using the switches, select which options your would like to show in Today view. You can choose to sort your notifications manually or by time. If you have chosen to sort manually, tap edit in the upper right corner, and drag your notifications to your desired order using User uploaded file .

Last Modified:

Notification Center - iPhone
http://help.apple.com/iphone/8/#/iph6534c01bc

Notification Center

Notification Center collects your notifications in one place, so you can review them whenever you’re ready. View details about your day—such as the weather forecast, appointments, birthdays, stock quotes, and even a quick summary of what’s coming up tomorrow. Tap the Notifications tab to review all your alerts.

Open Notification Center. Swipe down from the top edge of the screen.

User uploaded file
  • Set Today options. To choose what information appears, tap the Edit key at the end of your information on the Today tab. Tap + or — to add or remove information. To arrange the order of your information, touch User uploaded file, then drag it to a new position.

• Set notification options. Go to Settings > Notifications. Tap an app to set its notification options. For example, choose to view a notification from the Lock screen. You can also tap Edit to arrange the order of app notifications. Touch User uploaded file, then drag it to a new position.

Note: To include traffic conditions for your commute in the Today tab, make sure Frequent Locations is turned on in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations.

Get government alerts. In some areas, you can turn on alerts in the Government Alerts list. Go to Settings > Notifications.

For example, in the United States, iPhone can receive presidential alerts, and you can turn AMBER and Emergency Alerts (which includes both Severe and Extreme Imminent Threat alerts) on or off (they’re on by default). In Japan, iPhone can receive Emergency Earthquake Alerts from the Japan Meteorological Agency. Government alerts vary by carrier and iPhone model, and may not work under all conditions.

Choose whether to show Today and Notifications View on a locked screen. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode (iPhone models with Touch ID) or Settings > Passcode (other models), then choose whether to allow access when locked.

Close Notification Center. Swipe up, or press the Home button.

Enjoy the holidays!

- Judy

Messages - When alert pops up and i click view doesn't go to app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.