You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery charging icons

Does anyone know what the 4 different battery charging icons mean?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10), batt charge erratic since Yosemite

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 1:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:10 PM

If you click the battery icon User uploaded file in the menu bar of your Mac, you get a little more info on what is happening with the battery.

I just now found out that this icon:User uploaded file means that the power is plugged in, and your Macbook is using power from the mains, but the battery is not charging. (usually this icon appears the first couple of seconds after connecting the power, and then quickly changes to the next icon; unless there is a problem with either your battery not being able to charge, or your adapter not being able to provide enough power to both charge and provide power)

User uploaded fileThis icon shows that your Macbook is plugged in, it's using power from the mains, and the battery is charging.

The third iconUser uploaded file is obvisously, as mentioned before, showing you that your Macbook is using battery power, and thus not plugged in.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2015 1:10 PM in response to NuTachyon

If you click the battery icon User uploaded file in the menu bar of your Mac, you get a little more info on what is happening with the battery.

I just now found out that this icon:User uploaded file means that the power is plugged in, and your Macbook is using power from the mains, but the battery is not charging. (usually this icon appears the first couple of seconds after connecting the power, and then quickly changes to the next icon; unless there is a problem with either your battery not being able to charge, or your adapter not being able to provide enough power to both charge and provide power)

User uploaded fileThis icon shows that your Macbook is plugged in, it's using power from the mains, and the battery is charging.

The third iconUser uploaded file is obvisously, as mentioned before, showing you that your Macbook is using battery power, and thus not plugged in.

Dec 30, 2014 4:08 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I’m not sure how to get images of them to post.

I’m believing they reflect the charging or operating states of the battery but there is no documentation that I can find.

3 of icons I’ve been seeing are: (I don’t know how to make the other one show up and it was only there a moment)

white battery symbol with a black bar inside

white battery symbol with a black lighting bolt

black battery with a black lighting bolt inside

Any help is good. The charging has been erratic since loading Yosemite. As an example; One moment it is at 100% and then a couple minute later it is charging and 80%, Then charging at 50% - The charging connector may be green during this or may change to orange. It is inconsistent. It is too bad there isn’t decent documentation made available by Apple.

Dec 30, 2014 4:36 PM in response to NuTachyon

In the order you mention:

The MBP is being powered by the battery. The battery icon will be filled according to the degree of charge.

The battery is being charged by the power adapter.

Duplicate of above.

You do not mention this:

User uploaded file

The battery is NOT being charged but the MBP is operating via the power adapter.

Then there is an X icon which indicates that the battery is not recignized, It could be a dead battery or a curcuit failure.

As far as your battery issues are concerned, start with a SMC reset:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Ciao.

Dec 31, 2014 2:29 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have performed the SMC reset per the link you provided. Is there any way to confirm the SMC has been reset?

It still surprises me that Apple does not have detailed information, documented and available regarding this machine. They created this machine, they should know what it can do.

Using a “Battery Health” app I downloaded from the Apple App Store, I am able to see that the adapter provides anywhere from about 5 watts to 50 watts of charging power depending on its mood. Like the icons this is inconsistent information but there is no doubt, related.

Ok, I have managed to capture three of the icons that are consistently displayed. I’m hoping that the other icon will present itself soon.

The first 2 are with the Power Adapter that came with this MacBook attached and the 3rd, is with it disconnected.

I understand that the 3rd is “running on Battery power” but what about the others?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Also, if you can, please help me understand the meaning of these to acronyms; “MBP” and “SMC” in this context.

Dec 31, 2014 8:57 AM in response to NuTachyon

NuTachyon wrote:

I have performed the SMC reset per the link you provided. Is there any way to confirm the SMC has been reset?

If the problem has disappeared, the SMC was successful. If not, other avenues have to be tried.

Using a “Battery Health” app I downloaded from the Apple App Store, I am able to see that the adapter provides anywhere from about 5 watts to 50 watts of charging power depending on its mood.

The OSX monitors and controls the charge depending upon the needs and conditions. There is no 'mood' involved.

I understand that the 3rd is “running on Battery power” but what about the others?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

The lightning bolt icons indicate that the battery is being charged by the power adapter and power is being provided to the MBP for its operation. I do not know the difference between the two.

The 'battery' icon indicates that the MBP is being powered by the battery. The amount filled in the battery represents the amount of charge. If the battery were at 100%, the entire icon would be black. When the battery is substantially depleted, the icon will turn red as a warning.

MBP

Also, if you can, please help me understand the meaning of these to acronyms; “MBP” and “SMC” in this context.

MBP = Macbook Pro

SMC = System Management Controller. See the link I provided earlier

Ciao..

battery charging icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.