Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Music folder is dated 1/24/84 and will not open

iMac, Late 2009

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

16 GB 1067 MHz

iTunes 12.0.1

I cannot see inside my iTunes Music folder (home/iTunes/iTunes Music) or iTunesU or Mobile Applications. The folders are pale and dated (created and modified) 1/24/84, 2 A.M.

iTunes app seems to find music and movies fine tho. When I first noticed this, the Music/iTunes folder had created a 'iTunes Music 2' folder and all the music/movies folders would show up in there. I tried to 'move' those into the original iTunes Music folder (and it acted like it moved) - deleted the '2' folder and renamed '2' to plain iTunes Music. Still the same pale folder, inaccessible.

I tried repairing privileges (twice), resetting PRAM (twice) deleting any apple.com preferences referencing iTunes and even the Finder plist. Nothing is helping these sick folders. - But, as I said the iTunes app seems to work fine. I just need to see inside the music folder.

I use home sharing and whether another machine is on or not makes no difference. I have a new MBP and it's iTunes seems fine. I have tried an app called Files Property Editor to change the date on the folder, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thank you for any help!

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.1.x), null

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 4:07 PM

10 replies

Dec 31, 2014 5:36 AM in response to Janet Godbey

Back up all data before proceeding.

Select the text on the line below by dragging across it. Don't include the blank space at the end of the line. Only the text should be highlighted.

touch -t 198001010000

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V, then press the space bar.

Now switch to the Finder and and select the item(s) in question. Drag into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear. You can then quit Terminal.

Relaunch the Finder.

Dec 31, 2014 1:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you! I did this and voila! (kind of)

The file folder(s) are no longer pale, but not all of the artists' folders are in there and the iTunes Music folder had inside it: iTunes Music/iTunes Music (that was empty) ; Books (with books) ; Mobile Applications (with apps) ; iPod Games (with games)

I can straighten all that out - rebuild that library inside the iTunes Music folder from other machines..... however - the music and movies, etc are all still inside of iTunes on this iMac. Do you know how I can feed them back into the iTunes Music folder from within iTunes ? That would be simpler.

Thank you SO much for your help and expertise!

Dec 31, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well.. I think I found them all.... inside music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music some from iTunes (app) are in the iTunes Music folder, some are in iTunes Music/Music folder. I suppose I could just drag the music folder/folder back to the iTunes Music folder (hope the photo clip explains this better)

You have been so helpful. Why would my folder do this - and how did you know what to do to fix it ? You should be elevated to the level of Wizard.

User uploaded file

iTunes Music folder is dated 1/24/84 and will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.