Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro and Adobe CS2

Since I have been using Adobe CS2 on my Mac Pro, I have been having alot of crashes especially Indesign. Anyone else had problems and know of a way to fix it? I have updated all my software.

Mac Pro 2.66 2G RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2006 6:48 PM

11 replies

Oct 3, 2006 8:18 PM in response to Peter Brewer

Running ps on your mac pro with rosetta is the problem. The only way to harness the infinite power of that awesome piece of mac hardware is to use bootcamp and run ps in windows. True story. Every other answer is either uninformed or not truthful. Mac people hate this answer. People serious enough to by a mac pro can handle the truth. You are going to have to wait for q3 of 2007 to get a ub of ps. That is the problem.

Oct 4, 2006 6:43 AM in response to grant roth

Grant,

I've installed Windows XP Pro to run Photoshop CS2, Vue5 Infinite, and a number of other programs which have yet to be rewritten for Intel Macs as well as numerous Windows only apps. While it is true that Photoshop runs at a native speed on Windows, it runs just fine under Rosetta for me. I suspect it depends on the file sizes one works with and what your expectations are. Coming from an older G4, Photoshop with Rosetta is much faster than my old computer. Typically I work on 100 - 300mb images.

The original inquiry was about crashing issues and Version Cue is a real culprit and known issue as is running Photoshop and Illustrator concurrently. As I'll run just one at a time because of that issue and all my Adobe licenses are for specific apps rather than the suites so Version Cue was never an issue, I've not had a Adobe crash yet.

MacPro, G4 1.5GHZ, Rev.A iMac, Mac IIsi, Mac Plus Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Oct 4, 2006 7:17 AM in response to grant roth

Are you saying a universal Photoshop or CS3 is a year away (q3 of 2007)?

That would be very stupid, considering the popularity of Photoshop for Mac users, and the amount of money Adobe will cream from the release. I have been using PS and illustrator from the first release v.1.0 and I believe the early core users were also Mac users.

I believe they could release an upgrade but Adobe will make more money with a larger CS3 version release - it's all about the money, not about loyal users anymore.

Oct 4, 2006 11:17 AM in response to Jack Kelley1

Rosetta can eat up - or so it seems - 1.5 to 2GB of RAM. CS2 always likes to have plenty of RAM, so you might want another 2-4GB on top of that. So if comparing running on 2GB system, yes, you might do better on G5 or XP, but a number of benchmarks and users find that it runs well given enough RAM and also, it makes good use of all four cores.

Mac users of PS have either had to splurge on RAM or fast scratch disks, or both, to wring every last bit out of Photoshop if they are heavy users.

The G4 was limited to 2GB addressable RAM and most that could afford to 3 yrs ago jumped to G5 to have 4-8GB of addressable memory (up to 16GB on dual/quad core G5).

Oct 4, 2006 2:38 PM in response to The hatter

User uploaded file Rosetta can eat up - or so it seems - 1.5 to 2GB of RAM

While is a hungry pig I've never seen it go over 400MB. i'm not sure if it's capped by the amount of physical RAM so those with more than 2GB RAM might find that it uses more. 400MB doesn't sound like much but add to that the requirements of Mac OS X itself and then CS2 on top of that you can quickly run out of RAM… even with 2GB.

The current optimal RAM installation for the Mac Pro for 90% of uses is 4GB.

Mac Pro and Adobe CS2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.