Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s 8.1 only charges when off and won't connect to itunes

Hi,

I have a Iphone 4s 16GB IOS 8.1, and it only charges when I turn it off while it is plugged in. It's not reconized by itunes. Please Help

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 30, 2014 5:02 PM

9 replies

Jan 1, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Bulbasaur1155

Hello Bulbasaur1155,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To troubleshoot these issues where your iPhone is not charging, and will not be recognized by iTunes, please see the articles linked to below.

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for OS X - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Jan 3, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Bulbasaur1155

It seems to me you have two problems. The battery charging and the connection to iTunes..

Re the first, it sounds like you need a new battery. They are fairly easy to replace oneself, but if there is a local shop that can do it, so much the better.

Re connecting to iTunes, I found two solutions on Apple Support Communities. Apple's solution is first. That didn't work for me. The second method worked for me on two computers and three devices. And no side effects so far, i.e. Time Machine is fine. It is not Apple's recommended method.

Apple solution:

1.1 Terminal: defaults delete com.apple.SyncServer SyncServicesResetWorldRunOnce

1.2 Reboot your computer.

1.3 Unplug and reconnect your device(s)See this link for the article

Hatchet solution

2.1. Go to ~/Library/ApplicationSupport

2.2. Find the folder SyncServices

2.3. Delete it.

2.4. Reboot your computer

2.5. Unplug and reconnect your iOS device(s).

Iphone 4s 8.1 only charges when off and won't connect to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.