Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air no longer finds my canon printer by WLAN

I have MacBook Air loaded with OS-X Yosemite software. Up until yesterday I was happily printing over wireless LAN in the house to my Canon MG6350 printer. Then it stopped. The print dialogue says Printer is Offline but I can see it is online as it always used to be. I have tried resetting printer, deleting and reloading print drivers, resetting the WLAN device, reconnecting the printer to the wireless LAN and reconnecting the MacBook to the wireless LAN. Nothing will resolve the problem.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 10:38 AM

Hello there, AdrianGalilee.

Great job so far with troubleshooting your issue with printing to your Canon printer. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some additional steps for troubleshooting print issues:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X - Apple Support

USB printers and Bonjour-enabled network printers

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Learn more

Note: If your printer is wireless-capable, you should first add the printer to your network. Use the printer's control panel, or temporarily connect the printer to your Mac via USB. For more details, see this article.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2015 10:38 AM in response to AdrianGalilee

Hello there, AdrianGalilee.

Great job so far with troubleshooting your issue with printing to your Canon printer. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some additional steps for troubleshooting print issues:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X - Apple Support

USB printers and Bonjour-enabled network printers

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Learn more

Note: If your printer is wireless-capable, you should first add the printer to your network. Use the printer's control panel, or temporarily connect the printer to your Mac via USB. For more details, see this article.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Jan 3, 2015 8:11 AM in response to pedro d

Thanks. The Canon Help Desk offered additional actions of removing printer drivers to trash, emptying trash, restarting Apple, downloading drivers, adding the printer, then doing another restart. It all seems to be working again, although it appears that Canon have changed the design of their driver dialogue window so I'm having to learn how to do duplex and brochures.

Thanks for your helpful and prompt support!

Jan 5, 2015 12:44 PM in response to AdrianGalilee

Hi,

I have the same issue on 2 computers both connecting to Canon printers (not the same). Both have the same issue that you might be able to print once over WLAN. The next print job fails, stating the printer is not available. After restarting the printer and resume the print queue a number of times, it finally finds the printer again.... - This only happens if the printer is connected through WLAN. Is the printer connected via Ethernet cable, the printer is always found.

What instructions did you receive from Canon? I need this guidance as the other Printer does not have the possibility to get connected by a cable.

Jan 10, 2015 7:55 AM in response to mfehr

Hi,

Canon took me through the basics of all the steps I had been through before, including how to confirm the printer was finding my WLAN. Then they said

1. Go into System preferences -> Printers and Scanners / Print & Fax.

2. Should your printer be listed there already, remove it by clicking on the printer to highlight it and select the ‘-‘ button.

3. Click on the “+” button to add a printer and select ‘Add a printer or scanner”

4. Another window will then open, which may be populated with Apple’s Bonjour printer. Do not select this printer but rather wait a few moments and another printer will appear, which has “IJ Network” in its title. Select this printer and click on Add.

• If the IJ Network printer does not appear, close down all open programs and restart your Mac. Once the Mac has been restarted repeat the process of attempting to add the printer.

So I have done. I have wireless printing which seems stable and repeatable. I have one remaining fault that I am waiting for Canon to advise me on.I used to be able to print a brochure double sided. What I mean is I started with a 4 A4 page document on screen, in Open Office or Adobe Reader (.pdf) and then asked for a brochure which gave me an A5 booklet printed both sides. BUT now when I try printing a brochure and asking for duplex printing the printer always uses separate sheets of paper for each side. Most annoying. And i cannot see what else to do.

MacBook Air no longer finds my canon printer by WLAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.