Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Mac Mini (Late 2014) support 4k display @ 60 Hz via the DisplayPort?

Dear Experienced Apple Guru,

Apple made it clear on the Tech Specs for the Mac Mini (Late 2014) that a 4k display can be supported via the HDMI port at 30 Hz. But, can we also be clear how many Hertz the Mac Mini can handle with a 4k display via the Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 2)?

I have a site linked here saying that the DisplayPort 1.2 can handle up to nearly 20 Gbps, thus can handle 4k display at 60 Hz:

"DisplayPort version 1.2 can support video resolutions of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels (4K) at a refresh rate of 60 Hz, and it supports all common 3D video formats. In terms of bandwidth, it can manage 17.28 Gbps. Version 1.3, when it arrives, will support up to 8192 x 4320 (8K) resolution, or two simultaneous 4K streams. It will also double bandwidth to 32.4 Gbps.

Meanwhile, HDMI version 1.4 is the most common at the moment. This supports the same 4K resolution as DisplayPort 1.2, but at just 30 Hz (or 4096 x 2160 at 24 Hz). HDMI 2.0 is new on the scene in a few devices such as this Sony TV. This doubles the refresh rate to 60 Hz as well as increases bandwidth from 10.2- to 18 Gbps."

Thanks,

Trevalyn

Mac mini, null

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 7:02 AM

4 replies

Jul 18, 2015 2:24 AM in response to trevalyn006

As of now you can only run 4K 3840x2160 @30Hz and is very laggy, I hoped that apple would add support for the full resolution at 60Hz as all other models are being supported, I have a Dell P2415Q and it looks amazing however because it only runs at 30Hz you have to deal with the lag issues.

Also you will need a good mDP to DP cable capable of supporting the resolution, a 1.2 with higher bitrate would do just fine.

I think we have to wait for the next OS update or release and then maybe we will be able to run it at it's full capacity which is what we all expect, let's just cross our fingers and hope that apple can solve this issue.

Can the Mac Mini (Late 2014) support 4k display @ 60 Hz via the DisplayPort?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.