Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12: All added video goes to "Home Videos", and cannot be moved.

I have just updated to iTunes 12.01.26 on Windows 7 (Home Premium, Service Pack 1)

I have checked both the 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' and 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' in preferences.

Whenever I add video files (TV or Film) by dragging into iTunes, the video file is copied into the 'Home Videos' folder.

I then use 'Get Info' /options to set the 'Media Kind' to be Film or TV.

Unlike the previous versions, although the video file now appears in the correct category (in iTunes) - the original video file still resides in the 'Home Videos' folder.

Renaming the file (with show, name, title etc) has no effect on either the file name or the location.

Furthermore, when selecting 'TV', there seems to be no option to label the episode with the correct episode ID - only the season/episode.

Has there been a change in the nature of the way iTunes organises media files, or is this a fault in iTunes, or a problem with Windows?

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 3:58 PM

Turn Keep organized off, then turn it back on again. iTunes is failing to move some content when its media kind is changed.

tt2

7 replies

Jan 4, 2015 11:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks; this has solved the location issue - but only for existing content.

I tested it for new additions and the problem remains - all newly added video content is written to 'Home Videos' folder and the location is unchanged even after re-assigning the 'Media Kind'.

I do find the new interface shockingly complicated, and lacking the simple intuitive interface that I've always loved about iTunes. A huge disappointment.

Jan 5, 2015 5:06 AM in response to MikeyC UK

You can report problems via the relevant feedback form, e.g. iTunes Feedback, or sign up for a free Apple Developer Connection account and make use of Apple Bug Reporter. They don't generally talk back, but they do claim to read everything. I haven't reported the problem myself. I guess if nobody does they won't pick up on it, otherwise it is the sort of thing that usually gets fixed in the next release. Sadly there isn't an open bugs forum where you can see what issues have already been reported, although if you use the bug reporter you report may get closed as a duplicate which at least tells you that they are aware of the problem.

tt2

iTunes 12: All added video goes to "Home Videos", and cannot be moved.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.