Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set bluetooth headset to Call Only audio

I really hate being this guy, but here goes. On my old Android device (version 4.2.2, Samsung 5S), I was able to configure my bluetooth headset (Plantronic Voyager Pro HD) to Call Only audio. With this configuration, only calls went to the headset. All other device audio was played through the phone's speaker. I liked this feature, because I did not have to keep my headset in my ear at all times. The text messaging, email, and audio alerts all played through the phone. Only calls were directed to the headset. Is this possible in iOS 8 (version 8.1.2, iPhone 6)? I have configured the Plantronic headset to not stream audio, hoping this would help, but all of the phones audio alerts and sounds continue to play directly to the headset, whether I am wearing it or not and I am missing text messages because I don't hear the alerts when they arrive.

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 5:29 AM

None of the above seems to really do what is being asked.

I would also like to find a setting where only calls go to the Bluetooth headset, all other sounds to the phone speaker. Background in my case: using the Bose QuietComfort 35 headset, which allows connection with two Bluetooth devices. Now, when I am in a call with device 1, then all kind of sounds on device 2 override the call audio (calendar reminders, message notifications, ...), which is quiet inconvenient.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2017 5:29 AM in response to javavibe

None of the above seems to really do what is being asked.

I would also like to find a setting where only calls go to the Bluetooth headset, all other sounds to the phone speaker. Background in my case: using the Bose QuietComfort 35 headset, which allows connection with two Bluetooth devices. Now, when I am in a call with device 1, then all kind of sounds on device 2 override the call audio (calendar reminders, message notifications, ...), which is quiet inconvenient.

Apr 12, 2017 7:24 PM in response to javavibe

(iOS 10.3.1) Go into Settings--> General--> Accessibility, and under the Interaction section there is a setting called Call Audio Routing. Change the setting from Automatic to Bluetooth Headset. I'm not positive if it works the way you want it to, my Bluetooth headset is old, and might not be compatible with this kind of function. Worth a shot.

Nov 3, 2016 6:40 AM in response to javavibe

I'm on iOS 10 and still there is no option to route all 'media' audio through speakers, and keep all phone calls through BT, which is something Android has had for a long time, and it super useful!

Every single day, when I connect my BT headset, I have to swipe to the control center and manually select MUSIC to iPhone. EVERY SINGLE DAY!

How to set bluetooth headset to Call Only audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.