Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dial phone number from iCal

Yosemite boasts a feature where you call dial a phone number directly from iCal, simply by clicking on it. How do I do this. I'm looking at my next week's schedule in my iCal. I have over a dozen appts. booked, and every one has a 7 or 10-digit phone number in the box...but clicking the number does nothing. Double-clicking opens the entry to the edit pane, and there also, clicking or highlighting the phone number does nothing. What's the missing trick?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 12:45 PM

Hello Rhythm Earthsong,

To make phone calls from your Mac you need to have Continuity setup between your Mac (Yosemite) and your iPhone (iOS 8).

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

Phone calls

With Continuity, you can make and receive cellular phone calls from your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac when your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network.

To make and receive phone calls, here's what you need:

1. Sign in to the same iCloud account on all your devices, including your Mac.
  2. Your iPhone and your iPad or iPod touch need to use iOS 8 or later. Your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  3. All devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  4. All devices must be signed in to FaceTime using the same iCloud account. This means any device that shares your Apple ID will get your phone calls. Look below for instructions on how to turn off iPhone cellular calls.
  5. Wi-Fi Calling needs to be off. Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Make a call

To make a phone call on your Mac, iPad or iPod touch tap or click a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari.

Enjoy,

Nubz

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Rhythm Earthsong

Hello Rhythm Earthsong,

To make phone calls from your Mac you need to have Continuity setup between your Mac (Yosemite) and your iPhone (iOS 8).

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

Phone calls

With Continuity, you can make and receive cellular phone calls from your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac when your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network.

To make and receive phone calls, here's what you need:

1. Sign in to the same iCloud account on all your devices, including your Mac.
  2. Your iPhone and your iPad or iPod touch need to use iOS 8 or later. Your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  3. All devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  4. All devices must be signed in to FaceTime using the same iCloud account. This means any device that shares your Apple ID will get your phone calls. Look below for instructions on how to turn off iPhone cellular calls.
  5. Wi-Fi Calling needs to be off. Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Make a call

To make a phone call on your Mac, iPad or iPod touch tap or click a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari.

Enjoy,

Nubz

Jan 1, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Nubz N.

Thanks, Nubz, but I'm afraid I can't get it working even by following all the instructions above.

1. I am signed into my one iCloud account on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I can tell because when I check the accounts on each, they all list the same iCloud Apple ID email address, and they all offer for me to "Sign Out."

2. My Mac is running Yosemite 10.10.1, and my iPhone 6 is less than a month old, so I know it's on the latest system

3. All devices are connected my home Wi-Fi network

4. The Face Time account for all my devices are showing that I'm signed in using the same Apple ID

5. Wi-Fi calling does not appear as an option in Settings>Phone on my new iPhone 6

When looking at my iCal, all my upcoming appts. show the clients name, address and finally, phone number. None of the phone numbers look like a clickable link, they are the same font/color as all the rest of the info for each client. Clicking them does nothing.

The only way I was able to successfully make a call was to double-click the entire iCal appt. entry, which brings up the edit window, then right-click on the phone number in that window, which gives me a drop-down menu that includes "Call 698-XXXX" Using iPhone" and scroll/select that option. That worked and the call went through successfully. However, I'm assuming that's still wrong, as neither you nor the instructions on Apple's site say anything about needing to do those extra steps - opening the appt. editor, right-clicking the #, etc.

Additionally, there is some confusion between the instructions on the page you sent, under Turn Off iPhone Cellular calls. The page says, "Look below for instructions on how to turn off iPhone cellular calls." but then in those lower instructions it says, "On your Mac, open the FaceTime app and go to FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings and deselect the iPhone Cellular Calls option." Seems like deselecting would negate using "your iPhone cellular connection to make and receive calls when your iPhone is nearby and on WiFi," not enable it

dial phone number from iCal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.