Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery at 50% SMC not working

Hey all, I purchased a used MacBook Pro (late 2008) I have been truly impressed by it considering its age. My main issue is it's battery life/charge.

Although the battery is 1.5 years old with only 14 cycles and comes up as normal on system info, my battery does not charge past 50%. I have done an SMC reset, but it doesn't seem to fix it at all. (it did once, but then after draining, only went up to 50% again. Since then I have not been able to get it to show any higher. )

I have also tried to open up my Mac in AHT/diagnostics, but nothing I do at start up makes any difference (i.e. hit "D" after start but before grey screen, hold "D" while pressing power button at start up, hitting "option"+"D", etc.

Is there any other way to run diagnostics?

Thanks for your help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 3:06 PM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2014 3:19 PM in response to bstrelau

To run the Apple Hardware Test you need to insert disc two of the original gray install discs and restart while holding D. If that battery only has 14 cycles the previous owner probably replaced it with one of the junk knock offs that you buy on ebay.

Are you sure you used the proper procedure for resetting the SMC? You should be using the one for macbooks with a battery you can remove yourself.

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Dec 31, 2014 4:04 PM in response to bstrelau

Just wanted to make sure. I knew that you were going to say you didn't have the install discs 😉 Sellers do their buyers a real disservice by not resetting the system and providing the original discs. If you want to get them you can for a fee. Call Apple and provide them with the serial number and they'll ship you a set.

If you're running 10.7.5 registered to the previous owner you're going to have problems anyway, you can't update any software because it's not associated with your Apple ID. You should at least purchase a retail Snow Leopard disc http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You can't use it to run AHT but at least you can upgrade and associate your OS with your ID.

battery at 50% SMC not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.