Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make an automator sequence run when I close an application?

I have searched all over google, youtube, and the discussion boards but no one seems to want to do what I'm trying to do.

I want to run a folder action every time I close out an application that imports files while its running. My actions then take those files, move them and create a symlink back to the original location so that next time the app runs, it sees the files like they never moved. I've tried 2 different ideas with varying acceptability.

1. Create a folder action to watch the folder to copy. It got glitchy outside of Automator. I would be okay with this option but it has been acting up.

2. Use the launching of the app to trigger the copying and moving etc. I can make the app icon the icon for my application that includes the moving and creating of the symlink. But it only does the saving when I open the app. So while I'm working on the files, they're not backed up to place until I close the app and reopen it next time.

The catch: the file folder that I want to move files from and create symlink back to is my iMovie Library.

Can anyone give me some ideas about how to work this right? Thank you!

Running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB Ram and 1600 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 2:36 PM

3 replies

How do I make an automator sequence run when I close an application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.