Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music keeps stuttering.

So, I was listening to music about 30 minutes ago and it was playing back fine. I tried downloading a screen recording program, but after it was finished I tried playing back my music and it kept stuttering (pausing for about half a second) and then continue playing. It would do this about every 6 seconds and I'm wondering maybe if it had anything to do with the download. I use iTunes quite frequently, so help would be appreciated as soon as possible 🙂

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 31, 2014 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 8:46 AM

Hello MozillaHostile,

Not sure if it is related to the download you just recently made, but start with the article below to troubleshoot issues with your music playback stuttering on you.

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows: Audio does not play or plays incorrectly

http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS1362

Regards,

-Norm G.

12 replies

Feb 2, 2015 8:26 AM in response to cka1971

If you've recently installed the 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1, there is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" label appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems.

Some users have reported that after installing this alternative version it is necessary to (re)select the Windows Audio Session option in Edit > Preferences > Playback ("Play audio using:" dropdown) to restore correct playback.

Apr 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Honestly...this problem has been going on too long. I have downloaded the alternative iTunes programme to no avail.. I can see this goes far back in the literature. Mr. Apple.... I am now using Google Music for playback. It seems you have a significant problem coordinating with Mr Softy. the Stuttering and noise that occurs is just awful. You really should have your engineers get at this and fix it once and for all.

Windows 8.1 + Currant iTunes

iTunes music keeps stuttering.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.