Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App (8.1) Forgets the Gmail App Specific password for SMTP server

I have Mail (8.1) setup on Yosemite. It is synced with a Gmail account. After setting up an App Specific Password from within my Google Account, Mail usually after a short time forgets the password for the outgoing mail server and sets the SMTP server to 'offline'. The rest of the mailbox is synced correctly and is receiving mail too.

I have tried revoking the App password and creating new ones and setting up Mail again and it usually works for a short while then Mail will forget the SMTP server password again and prompt for it.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you solve it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 2:31 AM

5 replies

Jan 1, 2015 2:45 PM in response to jameskgowan

I'm afriad that Mail losing passwords is common. When you use the app specific passwords, it's a real chore to have to get new passwords when this happens.

Options. (Hopefully you wont need to do all of these.) Test after each step.

Open Keychain Access in Applications/Utilities.

1) Run Keychain First Aid. Under Keychain Access in the Menu bar select Keychain First Aid. Run First Aid.

2) Find your Gmail entries in Keychain. Look for a blue symbol with @. You can enter your account name in the top filter on right to help find all the entries.

• Open > Click on Access Control tab. Do you see Mail listed? If not click on + to add Mail.
  • Next under Attributes tab, check Show password. Enter your login password and verify the password is entered. Since it's an app specific password you can only verify if it's actually entered.

3) Remove all entries for Gmail then add back in Mail to see if the new ones stick. Keychain doesn't delete old or duplicate entries. You should see one entry for sending and one for receiving. Each app will add it's own entry so if you were using Mail and another email app, you could see additional entries.

3) Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting "New Keychain"

You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Lastly, you need to report it to Apple Feedback so it can be logged and put in the queue to be fixed.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Jan 2, 2015 10:17 AM in response to jameskgowan

When Gmail is not working in Mail, you can use MailTabPro for Gmail until you have time to reset app specific password. The Pro version gives you the exact window you see in your browser. Easy to access from the Menu bar. It doesn't require an app specific password. :-)

$1.99. In Mac App Store (MAS). Nothing to download and easy access to your messages.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailtab-pro-for-gmail/id430252530?mt=12&ign-mpt= uo%3D4

Mail App (8.1) Forgets the Gmail App Specific password for SMTP server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.