Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 OS 7.1.2 (11D257) display normal when switching on, turns to very high contrast primary colours only, no tonal graduation. Wifi no longer works.

iPhone 4 OS 7.1.2 (11D257) display normal when switching on, turns to very high contrast with bright primary colours only, no tonal graduation.Initially problem arose every time I switched the Camera on, but has worsened such that any application can cause it. In Camera, after a short time screen goes black. Also, Wifi no longer works.

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 3:52 AM

7 replies

Jan 1, 2015 5:54 AM in response to brunoandlottie

To rule out a software issue, set it up as new device, explained here:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If still problems after that, get it checked by an Authorized Appel Service Provider or Apple Store next to your place, or contact Apple Support to get it serviced:

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Jan 1, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks for the suggestion. I sync'd with the iMac. I have tried repeatedly to turn off 'Find my phone'. The phone shows it switched off, but when I ask Tunes to restore, it tells me I need to switch off 'Find my phone'. Next I get "Cannot connect to iTunes" on the phone, followed by "Identification failed. The request timed out". And I am using the correct Apple ID Password - if I wasn't, I wouldn't have access to this discussion thread. I am allowed to 'retry' but to no avail. And when I switch the iPhone back on, lo & behold, 'Find my phone' is still active (see note above re my trying to switch it off several times. I think I will have to put my hand into my pocket and resort to professional help!

Jan 1, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks. Seemed to be working - deactivated 'Find my phone' in iCloud, switched phone back on, it was displaying "Turning Off Find My iPhone...", but then went to "Cannot Turn Off Find My iPhone. There was a problem deregistering this iPhone with iCloud. Try turning Find My iPhone off again".

I assume that's because I deregistered it in iCloud to which I have just returned and the iPhone is definitely no longer listed. Will now try the restore in iTunes.

Jan 1, 2015 10:30 AM in response to brunoandlottie

You're welcome 🙂

In case you don't want to buy a new iPhone, Apple will replace the whole unit if you are willing to pay the service fee of 149$ for the iPhone4.

Out-of-warranty repair service
If your repair isn’t covered by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare+, or AppleCare Protection Plan, your iPhone might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. For example, liquid damage isn’t covered by warranty but might be eligible for out-of-warranty service. Some damage isn’t eligible at all, for example if your device has been broken into multiple pieces. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for complete details.
Read Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions

Model Out-of-warranty service fee Battery service*
iPhone 6 Plus $329

$79
*available only if battery
fails Apple’s diagnostic test

iPhone 6 $299
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 $269
iPhone 4s $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G,
Original iPhone
$149

Plus a $6.95 shipping fee, if required. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax. Pricing is for service through Apple. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above. Pricing and terms vary for service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone

iPhone 4 OS 7.1.2 (11D257) display normal when switching on, turns to very high contrast primary colours only, no tonal graduation. Wifi no longer works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.