Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move document from one folder to another

In the previous incarnation of Pages, right when it first developed Folders (a long overdue development), I was able to easily move a document from one folder to another on my MacBook, as well as my iPad.

Now, whenever I grab a document and try to drag and drop it into a new folder to move it, it won't let.

Did Apple actually remove this functionality from Pages?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 7:15 AM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2015 11:28 AM in response to VikingOSX

Didn't have the Yosemite MBA powered up, so verified this on Mavericks with Pages v5.2.2. Since Apple has essentially frozen the Pages v5 codebase, figured this would also work on Yosemite.

Any application (e.g. TextEdit) that takes advantage of this titlebar feature can move documents in this manner.

In the Finder, you can move a document from one location to another by depressing the command key while dragging the file.

In Pages v5.2.2, with the document chooser open, I can use the preceding sentence move technique to move a file from an open folder into the Pages document chooser and it will automatically switch the Pages document chooser to inside that external folder — without launching the document. But, the command+drag feature does not work to move a document visible in the Pages v5.2.2 document chooser to another Finder location, or even into a folder visible within the document chooser.

Jan 1, 2015 11:43 AM in response to admiralmpj

Pages v5 and later is a rewrite, not an evolution of Pages '08/'09 functionality. Apple did not remove anything. They simply never put earlier Pages functionality back in, or any common sense word processing functionality. Consequently, it is a totally different, and deficient application that is known more for what it cannot do, than its strengths.

Pages '09 v4.3 still works on Mavericks and Yosemite (with some small caveats on the latter).

Can't move document from one folder to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.