Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find a destination volume

I am trying to erase and reinstall Snow Leopard on an old MacBook. I installed a new HD 2 years ago and used the computer problem free. I first tried to erase the disk, but I was getting an input/output error.

I found on this site that it might take some time for the disk to appear in the "Select a Destination" window. Mac OS X 10.5: Installer destination window does not show drives - Apple Support

However to check the status, I went to Terminal as recommended in the article. In Terminal, I enter "ps auxc | grep fsck" and it returns with "command not found"

Can anyone tell me why the command is not found and if there is a different command that I could use? Any other advice?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), New HD installed 2 years ago

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 9:52 AM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2015 10:28 AM in response to robertn84

It would be looking for those Terminal commands on the Hard Drive it can't find, in /sbin/

Does the drive show up here...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

Jan 1, 2015 11:02 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua, thank you for your response.

While in the First Aid tab with the disk selected, I am not able to select "Repair Disk" because it is darkened. User uploaded file

Also, when I run the command "ps aux", a few lines of stuff shows up.

User uploaded file

On the Apple Support article, it says that there may be a delay in the disk showing up because it has to first be checked, and the larger the volume, the longer it will take to check. I was using this disk and it had a large amount of data on it, but I have waited for 1-2 hours and it still did not show up. Any other suggestions or thoughts as to what is going on or what I can try?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2015 1:51 PM in response to BDAqua

When I held CMD+s during bootup, the Mac ejected the CD-ROM. This was the disk that I was using.

User uploaded file

The Mac then displayed the flashing folder with the "?" on it. So I inserted my Snow Leopard installation disk. I still had the same problem in Disk Utility. I turned off the machine and held down the CMD+s. I went into single user mode and entered the code. When I did that, it gave me the message "The volume Mac OS X Install DVD appears to be OK."

User uploaded file

I then went to Disc Utility and looked at a partition of the disk. It is a 500 GB disk, but it let me create 1 partition at 250 GB. I then went to the Select Destination Window, and the partition that I had created, named "Untitled" was there. But this is only for 250 GB and the HD is 500 Gb. Is there a part of the disc that is not being recognized? I am currently installing the Snow Leopard on the partition.

Cannot find a destination volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.