Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite crashes on boot after upgrading from lion

Downloaded Yosemite and installed - it then crashes on boot about 10 - 15% through (with Apple logo). Have restored Time Machine twice. *** is the problem? 2011 Mac Mini with zero third party software, thing gets bored daily just web browsing, playing music, and storing pictures... can Apple please produce some decent software for a change? Any solutions would be gratefully received

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Trying to upgrade to Yosemite

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 12:15 PM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2015 1:28 PM in response to craven008

Hi craven008,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues since upgrading to Yosemite. If you are having intermittent but persistent boot issues with your Mac Mini since the upgrade, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support

Note: If you reach a step that describes booting from an installation disk, for Yosemite you would instead want to use OS X Recovery:

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Regards,

- Brenden

Jan 3, 2015 12:05 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden for the helpful post - I've done a few of these but not all of these (i.e done the safe boot / disconnected devices / drained battery etc) but haven't done others such as RAM clearing... will try again tonight. Although I can say I am intensely frustrated by this experience... reading everyday how high Apple's share price is, but then dealing everyday with random crashes, devices not syncing properly, incorrect rights management within family sharing, totally confounding and bizarrely broken photo / photo stream / itunes / iphoto / icloud / icloud photo library architecture... just feels to me like someone's too preoccupied in making hay while the sun shines, instead of turning out quality product!

Thanks again for the post - will let you know how it goes

Feb 21, 2015 3:24 AM in response to craven008

Hi there wanted to post an update - I've tried everything - every kind of prep / every kind of recovery option available / but still no luck. I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue - what is the fix? Am I to believe in this day and age that my 18 month old state of the art computer simply cannot be upgraded to the latest version of itself? Any ideas?

Feb 21, 2015 3:25 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi there wanted to post an update - I've tried everything - every kind of prep / every kind of recovery option available / but still no luck. I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue - what is the fix? Am I to believe in this day and age that my 18 month old state of the art computer simply cannot be upgraded to the latest version of itself? Any ideas?

Feb 21, 2015 12:26 PM in response to craven008

The next time the problem happens, note the date and time the problem occurred, then go to Applications/Utilities/Console and copy the log starting at the time of the crash. Paste the log in a reply. Please do not use a screen shot as they can be hard to read. If there are repeated runs of the same messages, please post only one run. Be selective about what you post and don’t post huge amounts. Make sure there is no personal data visible. Information learned from Linc Davis.

Feb 24, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric thanks for the post - I ended up formatting the drive, re-installing Lion, then upgrading, then using migration assistant to migrate data from time machine backup. This appears to have worked. I say appears to have worked because there are a number of settings, especially user access and permissions, that have not come across and I am in the process of getting them sorted out. All in it has taken me over 24 hours and four attempts to upgrade a two year old computer. What a complete and utter cluster. My first - and last - experience trying to use a Mac. And I thought Windows was bad!

yosemite crashes on boot after upgrading from lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.