Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get double up of photos when importing from iPhone 6 i.e. img_0000 and img_0000_2

Since upgrading from iPhone 4s to iPhone 6 my iPhoto now imports 2 pics or movies to iPhoto and gives the second file an _2 extension is there a way of stopping this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, iMac OS X 10.10.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 12:39 PM

There are several reports, that this has been happening, since the iOS 8.1 release. It happens in iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture, but not all are seeing this problem.

For example, see these discussions:

Unfortunately, there is no clear picture yet, what circumstances will make it happen, and how to prevent it.

For some forum members it was the Photo Stream, others found it was caused by HDR photos, for some the problem went away after the 8.1.2 update, for others it started with this update.

A few forum members reported, that it helped to dismount the iPhone and plug it in again, and then the duplicates went away.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2015 12:39 PM in response to WillJohnHam

There are several reports, that this has been happening, since the iOS 8.1 release. It happens in iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture, but not all are seeing this problem.

For example, see these discussions:

Unfortunately, there is no clear picture yet, what circumstances will make it happen, and how to prevent it.

For some forum members it was the Photo Stream, others found it was caused by HDR photos, for some the problem went away after the 8.1.2 update, for others it started with this update.

A few forum members reported, that it helped to dismount the iPhone and plug it in again, and then the duplicates went away.

Mar 12, 2015 9:18 AM in response to WillJohnHam

Here is one more potential fix posted by AlexandraMeyn:

AlexandraMeyn including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Mar 9, 2015 6:55 PM

Re: iphoto import creating and importing duplicates/ios8

in response to boloney

[DocumentBodyStart:82156be4-6d1a-4fe9-ac48-11557b932026]

Thanks for the above input from all. I found, regardless of updates and whatnot... that if I were importing photos from my phone via the USB connection, I had to make sure that in iTunes both "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" and Sync this iPhone over wifi were UNCHECKED.

Open iPhoto after those options in iTunes correspond, and finally the duplicate issue stopped.

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2015 7:28 PM in response to WillJohnHam

What's even WORSE, is that I was importing 1500 pictures using Image Capture, and I saw all the duplicates. I assumed it was because HDR was turned on, so the first thing I did was delete all the pix I didn't want in preparation to Import All of what remained. So, I deleted one of each of those duplicate pix... SO when I then went to import the remaining pix, THOSE HAD BEEN DELETED TOO. If you delete ONE of them in Image Capture, it deletes it.

I don't have the words to express how sad this bug has made me to lose hundreds of family photos from the last 6 months.

How do I not hear about this bug first, or there not be a fix for over 2 months.

Mar 31, 2015 4:47 AM in response to JoeScripter

I assumed it was because HDR was turned on, so the first thing I did was delete all the pix I didn't want in preparation to Import All of what remained. So, I deleted one of each of those duplicate pix... SO when I then went to import the remaining pix, THOSE HAD BEEN DELETED TOO. If you delete ONE of them in Image Capture, it deletes it.

Did you delete the photos on the iPhone? Just in case you did not look there - the Recently Deleted album in Photos will keep the deleted photos for one month.

THOSE HAD BEEN DELETED TOO

The duplicates are not really duplicates, because the iPhone is showing you the same photo, from the Camera roll and Photo stream. Deleting from the Camera Roll will delete from the photo stream.

May 10, 2015 7:10 PM in response to WillJohnHam

I Do believe this issue results because the computer is downloading one copy for I-cloud and a second from the I-phone. So, if you have I-cloud, check to see if the photos are downloaded prior to plugging in the I-phone to the computer. Then, plug in the phone and see if you now get duplicates.

If indeed this is what is happening...it did indeed do it for me..Then go photos in the computer and then to "preferences" in the photo app and then uncheck "My Photo Stream" and also read the fine print so you know what else is going on with this box.

Why do I get double up of photos when importing from iPhone 6 i.e. img_0000 and img_0000_2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.