Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUG in libdispatch client

Hi there,

I'm consistently running into problems connecting to my printer via the router on my WiFi set up. The problem is general to all devices that try to get to the printer on the network. All are connected to the same wireless network. Currently, I'm running two mac book pros with OS X Yosemite, an iPad 4th generation and two iPhone 6s and an iPhone 5 all with iOS 8.X.X.. The printer is an HP OfficeJet 6700. The router is an Orange Livebox 3 by Sagemcom.

The problem is that although the printer is detectable by some of the devices from which I want to print, it often gets stuck at the moment of actual printing. The print queue will start the printing process but get stuck trying to get the printer to wake up. Sometimes I walk over and touch the screen to wake it up but it ends up telling me the printer is not connected.

I've restarted the Livebox and the devices many times over. Sometimes I get proper connectivity - like I can print for a while but if the computer is restarted or falls asleep, I end up loosing the printer, usually when I really need to print something urgently!

So I try the Wireless Diagnostic Tool and search the results for any errors concerning the printer and this is what I get:

Officejet_6700:

BUG in libdispatch client: kevent [EVFILT_WRITE] add: "Broken pipe" - 0x20

But I have no idea what this means or even if it is the key to my problem.

Any suggestions are very welcome. Like I might need to find another tree to bark up. I'm really lost.

Thanks,

J.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 1:49 PM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2015 1:03 AM in response to jonathan_gva

I have exactly the same problem with my HP Officejet 8610. I can sometimes print, but more often than not the queue will stop because my Mac cannot find the printer. Sometimes opening the HP Utitliy app will force a reconnection but this is starting to become very frustrating. I also have the same error message in the console.

What's very odd is that my colleague, who's running OS X 10.10. on the same spec Macbook Pro doesn't have any issues. The only think I can think which is different is that he updated to 10.10. and did a clean install. Other than that, I have no idea what could be causing the problem 😟

Feb 1, 2015 2:02 PM in response to jonathan_gva

Network Printer Troubleshooting

If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

Printer Troubleshooting - Yosemite

If you haven't done so already, try resetting the printing system.

OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system also Yosemite

Feb 2, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply and for sending over the links. I have tried resetting the print system, rebooted both my MacBook Pro, Router and Printer. I've downloaded the HP drivers from their website and even reinstalled the entire OS X, but I still can't get it to work reliably.

What is strange is that I can ping the printer and even access it's webpage, but if I send anything to print, the queue starts and then everything stops and it says that it can't find the printer. I'm starting to think that it's either a bug in the HP drivers or something network related but I'm hitting a brick wall. So if you have any more thoughts on what it could be, at this stage, I'm willing to try anything 🙂

BUG in libdispatch client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.