Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unistall k9-macoptimizer

I want to know how to uninstall k9-macoptimizer

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 12:30 PM

14 replies

Jan 1, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Drojacque

When you did this did yo get the message that it was uninstalled?

Symptom

You want to uninstall K9 from a Mac computer.

Solution

Note: You must have administrator rights to uninstall K9 Web Protection.

1. Open the [System Preferences] panel.
  2. Click the K9 Web Protection icon under the “Other” section at the bottom.
  3. Click the [Uninstall] button.
  4. When prompted, enter your K9 administrator password and click [OK].
  5. You will then be prompted to enter your Mac administrator password.
  6. When the uninstall process is complete, you will receive a message saying K9 has been successfully uninstalled.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UNINSTALL K9 WITHOUT A PASSWORD. By design, K9 will block all web access should anyone attempt to uninstall without using a password. Attempts to modify K9 at the system level will have the same effect.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/support/kb/K9108.html

Jan 5, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Drojacque

You may want to try these steps to remove this "Malware";

1. Open up terminal in /Applications/Utilities

2. Type in this command in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

3. After that, restart your computer.Then goto Macintosh HD and look for a folder called "opt" (without quotations)

5. Open that up and You will see a folder called ".bluecoat"

7. Delete that.

8. Empty trash.

Hope this works for you.

(Found this answer on http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/6rzun-delete-k9-macbook-air-without-k9-p assword.html)

Jan 6, 2015 12:34 AM in response to Drojacque

I ended up with this on my machine today after being fooled by an ad on sourceforge.com I clicked on the big green download button that was in an ad instead of waiting for the download to happen.

It installed a RAR unarchiver app and K9-macoptimizer. I used AppZapper to remove the RAR app it installed. AppZapper is not free and you can't buy it from the mac app store, but you get 5 zaps for free. It deletes the app and most of the junk it installs.

After zapping I needed to remove Completer.app and its LaunchAgents, since it would ask me to abort installing the app every time I logged out or restarted.

On Yosemite (starting from Lion) the Library folder is hidden but you can get to it with "Go to Folder ..."

1. Open Activity Monitor and kill process "InstallerS"
  2. From the Finder Menu select Go > Go to Folder ...
  3. Enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents into the prompt
  4. Delete the following files (This set of files launch InstallerS depending on action)
    1. com.genieo.completer.download.plist (launches when a file appears in the download folder )
    2. com.genieo.completer.ltvbit.plist (launches on a calendar interval)
    3. com.genieo.completer.update.plist (launches at load which is when you login and on a calendar interval)
  5. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/

Delete com.genieoinnovation.Installer/ (This is a folder that contains Completer.app)

You may also need to remove K9-Macoptimizer from your start up items.

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Users & Groups
  3. Login Items
  4. Select K9-Macoptimizer
  5. Click the '-' button

How to unistall k9-macoptimizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.