Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Panic(Macbook pro, 15-inch, mid 2010)

Hello.

I have been suffered from GPU panic. Maybe this problem is caused by nvidia's bad compatibility with mac.

So, i solve this problem by deleting GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle file(system-library-extensions). Never reboot after deleting!

But after deleting bundle file, sometimes images are broken.(below photo. slide is missing.)

User uploaded file

Anyway my question is two.

1. what is the function of the GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle file. and

2. how to fix this image broken problem.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Macbook pro, 15-inch, mid 2010

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 8:34 PM

You have the MacBookPro6,2—the Edsel of Macs. It may have the logic-board defect that was covered by this recall.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider, to have the machine tested. The routine hardware diagnostics used by service providers do not detect the fault. There is a specific test for this issue that Apple calls "VST" (for "Video Switching Test.") Ask for it. A "Failed" result means that the fault is present. However, according to reports, some units may pass the test, and yet still be deemed eligible for repair under the program. Your experience may vary.

Print the first page of the panic report, if any, and the support page linked above, and bring them with you.

Note that the recall only applies within three years of purchase. After that, Apple may refuse the service. In that case, you may be quoted a price of about $300 (in the U.S.) for a "depot repair," which involves shipping the unit to a central repair facility and takes about two weeks. For that flat fee, anything found wrong with it should be fixed, not just the logic board.

The model was discontinued on February 24, 2011, so the recall has nominally ended. Some units may have been sold after that date by Apple as refurbished, or by resellers as new, and they might still be covered.

Residents of the EU may be entitled to warranty service for up to six years after purchase.

Some owners report that their unit was repaired under the program after the deadline had passed. Others report that the repair was covered by the extended warranty from a credit-card issuer. Again, your experience may vary.

Sometimes the replacement part is also defective, so be prepared for that possibility. If you decide to pay for a new logic board, test thoroughly during the 90-day warranty period on the repair. Some owners have reported that they went through as many as three replacement boards before getting one that worked.

If it's too late for your unit to be repaired free of charge, and you don't want to pay for the service, you may (or may not) be able to stop the panics by disabling automatic graphics switching. To use the discrete graphics processor, you'll need a third-party utility to switch to it manually.

Often the problems start after an OS upgrade. If the upgrade was recent, and you have backups, then you can revert to a previous OS X version.

If you're dissatisfied with Apple's response, please keep in mind that no one here represents the company or can help with customer-service issues.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2015 8:34 PM in response to yhkwon

You have the MacBookPro6,2—the Edsel of Macs. It may have the logic-board defect that was covered by this recall.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider, to have the machine tested. The routine hardware diagnostics used by service providers do not detect the fault. There is a specific test for this issue that Apple calls "VST" (for "Video Switching Test.") Ask for it. A "Failed" result means that the fault is present. However, according to reports, some units may pass the test, and yet still be deemed eligible for repair under the program. Your experience may vary.

Print the first page of the panic report, if any, and the support page linked above, and bring them with you.

Note that the recall only applies within three years of purchase. After that, Apple may refuse the service. In that case, you may be quoted a price of about $300 (in the U.S.) for a "depot repair," which involves shipping the unit to a central repair facility and takes about two weeks. For that flat fee, anything found wrong with it should be fixed, not just the logic board.

The model was discontinued on February 24, 2011, so the recall has nominally ended. Some units may have been sold after that date by Apple as refurbished, or by resellers as new, and they might still be covered.

Residents of the EU may be entitled to warranty service for up to six years after purchase.

Some owners report that their unit was repaired under the program after the deadline had passed. Others report that the repair was covered by the extended warranty from a credit-card issuer. Again, your experience may vary.

Sometimes the replacement part is also defective, so be prepared for that possibility. If you decide to pay for a new logic board, test thoroughly during the 90-day warranty period on the repair. Some owners have reported that they went through as many as three replacement boards before getting one that worked.

If it's too late for your unit to be repaired free of charge, and you don't want to pay for the service, you may (or may not) be able to stop the panics by disabling automatic graphics switching. To use the discrete graphics processor, you'll need a third-party utility to switch to it manually.

Often the problems start after an OS upgrade. If the upgrade was recent, and you have backups, then you can revert to a previous OS X version.

If you're dissatisfied with Apple's response, please keep in mind that no one here represents the company or can help with customer-service issues.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jun 1, 2015 4:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc Davis,

i bought my macbook pro 15" in 2010 June in the UE (spain), i have the nvidia issues, recently discover after upgrade to yosemite,

i see that "El periodo de elegibilidad del Programa de calidad de la pantalla en negro intermitente o la pérdida de la señal de vídeo del MacBook Pro (15 pulgadas, mediados de 2010) ha finalizado." THE PROGRAM HAS ENDED.

El Programa de calidad de la pantalla en negro intermitente o la pérdida de la señal de vídeo del MacBook Pro (15 pulgad…

but you writte:

Apple told me that the program has ended, what can i do?

thanks.

Oct 7, 2015 1:15 AM in response to ciberdiego

Hola Ciberdigo,

Estoy en la misma situación que tú. Has averiguado como arreglar la avería si el periodo del programa ha finalizado? A parte de instalar el GfxCardStatus. Has conseguido cambiar la placa base? Tampoco entiendo como en EEUU tienen 6 años de garantía después de la compra... Saludos.

I'm in the same situation. I bought a macbook pro 15" mid2010 in Spain and the program has ended. What can I do?

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2015 1:24 AM in response to oscarferrer

Hola Oscar,

con gfxstatus de vez en cuando también se reinicia con el GPUPanic,

en apple no me resolvieron nada de nada, no me dieron ninguna opción,

en un servicio técnico me pedían 585,40’- + iva €por cambiar la placa,

me gasté 120€ en cambiar el chip gráfico y tampoco funciona,

es una auténtica vergüenza para haberme gastado 1999€ en junio del 2010.

Muy desencantado con apple...

Hello Oscar,
with gfxstatus occasionally also restarts the GPUPanic ,
in apple I did not solve anything, they gave me no choice ,
a service asked me 585,40'- + VAT
by changing the motherboard,
I spent 120€ to change the graphics chip and does not work,
It is a real shame for having spent € 1,999 in June 2010 .
Very disenchanted with apple ...

Oct 7, 2015 2:20 AM in response to ciberdiego

Por curiosidad, a que Apple Store lo llevaste? Tengo hora para esta tarde al de la Maquinista de Barcelona.

La verdad es que da pena esto. Pienso igual que tu, como puede uno gastarse 2000 euros para a los 3 años tener este grave problema que se te apague el Mac súbitamente y además Apple no haga nada respecto al caso, ni una solución...

Saludoa y gracias por la info.

GPU Panic(Macbook pro, 15-inch, mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.