Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to import video files to your hard drive without Final Cut or iMovie?

I've been using Final Cut Pro X for a while now and recently decided to move towards more capable softwares. In my case Hitfilm 3 Pro. The only problem is, I Hitfilm 3 can't read my SD card the way Final Cut could.

I can't import my video clips to my project from my SD card within the new software. And to my knowledge I can't sort of 'drag and drop' the clips from the sealed Final Cut event files either. iPhoto is far too slow at importing video, and Image Capture can only import video from iDevices. I hope there's an alternative way of reading the SD card and importing the clips on it straight to my video folder, without the need of messing around with the Final Cut or iMovie event folders. Thank you in advance for any sort of suggestions.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Sony nex VG-20 camera

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 5:11 AM

ahavu wrote:

And to my knowledge I can't sort of 'drag and drop' the clips from the sealed Final Cut event files either.

The events are not "sealed". Your clips – if you copied rather than leaving in place – are in the Original Media folder. If you used 10.1.x, you right click on the library bundle and choose Show Package Contents. In early versions, just open the event folder.

There are multiple ways to get media on ones' computer. One way is to use a card reader and copy the entire card structure to whatever destination is used for a media drive. Then import into the NLE.

I don't have any experience with Hitfilm but I assume their user forums would be a good place to get an understanding of what workflows work best for that application.

Good luck.

Russ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2015 5:11 AM in response to ahavu

ahavu wrote:

And to my knowledge I can't sort of 'drag and drop' the clips from the sealed Final Cut event files either.

The events are not "sealed". Your clips – if you copied rather than leaving in place – are in the Original Media folder. If you used 10.1.x, you right click on the library bundle and choose Show Package Contents. In early versions, just open the event folder.

There are multiple ways to get media on ones' computer. One way is to use a card reader and copy the entire card structure to whatever destination is used for a media drive. Then import into the NLE.

I don't have any experience with Hitfilm but I assume their user forums would be a good place to get an understanding of what workflows work best for that application.

Good luck.

Russ

Is there any way to import video files to your hard drive without Final Cut or iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.