Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to update the ISO 4.2.1 on an old iPod Touch to ISO 7. Can't find "Software Update" option under General Setting. Where might I look for the option to slightly upgrade the ISO for this device?

I'd like to update the ISO 4.2.1 on an old iPod Touch to ISO 7. Can't find "Software Update" option under General Setting. Where might I look for the option to slightly upgrade the ISO for this device?

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 12:31 PM

Which version of the iPod Touch is it? More than likely your device is too old for iOS 7.

5 replies

Jan 2, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Boblaurell

You likely have a 2G iPod and those can go higher than 4.2.1

A 3G can go to 5.1.1

IA 4G, with cameras can go to iOS 6.1.6.

The 5G, also with cameras can go to iOS 8

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

- A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10 or higher. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

- A 3G to 5.1.1 Requires iTunes version 10.5 or later

- A 4G to 6.1.6 Requires iTunes version 10.7 or later. For a Mac, that requires a Mac with OSX 10.6.8 or later

- A 5G to iOS 8 Requires iTunes 11.4 or later if you update via iTunes

Identifying iPod models

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.