Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

contact number not registered with iMessage

Issues with iMessage; contacts with an iPhone 5 are now showing up as contact # not registered with iMessage. anyone else experiencing this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 1:03 PM

I had a similar problem.. you need to 1) make sure that iMessage is using the same iCloud account as your phone. Also go to Disk Utility and repair the preferences for your main hard drive.

26 replies

Jan 2, 2015 2:13 PM in response to chrisn2sf

Hi,

More specifically make sure the Contacts App is listed in System Preferences > iCloud to sync with the iOS device.

If you are not using iCloud for this use the Account in Internet Accounts in System Preferences and make sure they are syncing.

Also check the Contacts App itself > Preferences> Accounts lists the Sync option as the Active account.

You probably need to check iCloud or your sync service option in Settings on the iPhone.

User uploaded file

10:13 pm Friday; January 2, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 5, 2015 11:21 AM in response to chrisn2sf

Hi,

SO in System Preferences > iCloud the Contacts App is ticked to Sync and the same on the iPhone 6 ?

And in th Contacts App > Preferences > Accounts it also lists an account to sync ?

However this no longer work on the iPhone or the MacBook Pro.

Not even if the iPhone lists the iPhone Number as the Send from ID ?

On the iPhone > Settings > Messages check the Send and Receive section.

Does the iPhone number appear ?

Is it greyed Out ?

Is it ticked ?

If it is not ticked then delete the Apple ID.

The set the iPhone to Airplane Mode for a few minutes.

ON going back to Settings > Messages make sure the iPhone Number verifies before continuing.

Once it has send an iMessage to the Apple ID you want to use (I.e. the Mac).
if that works And the Mac can send back to the iPhone Add back the Apple ID.

Accept the pop up on the Mac that appears telling you what the iPhone is using.

User uploaded file

7:21 pm Monday; January 5, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 5, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

SO in System Preferences > iCloud the Contacts App is ticked to Sync and the same on the iPhone 6 ? yes

And in th Contacts App > Preferences > Accounts it also lists an account to sync ? yes

However this no longer work on the iPhone or the MacBook Pro.

Not even if the iPhone lists the iPhone Number as the Send from ID ? yes, although all the #'s and emails are shown, it will not allow the message to go through

On the iPhone > Settings > Messages check the Send and Receive section.

Does the iPhone number appear ? yes but it is greyed out

Is it greyed Out ? yes

Is it ticked? no, it is not ticked, only the 2 email accounts that I've also setup and they are ticked

I'll try deleting the appleid and then wait for it to verify the phone #.

thanks and fingers crossed!

Jan 5, 2015 1:21 PM in response to chrisn2sf

Hi,

NO.

Not even if the iPhone lists the iPhone Number as the Send from ID ? yes, although all the #'s and emails are shown, it will not allow the message to go through

On the iPhone in Send and Receive you can chose the ID or the iPhone number to be the "Start Conversation From" ID.

You were supposed to check that the iPhone Number can be used to Send the Messages.

From your new post though, it sounds as if you have not even got that far as the mac is not registering the Apple ID.

What does the Messages App > Preferences >Accounts > iMessages account pane show you on the Mac ?

Does it list the Apple ID across the top with the Sign Out and Detail Buttons underneath ?

Is that followed by the Receive At list ?

Does this include the iPhone Number ?

User uploaded file

9:21 pm Monday; January 5, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 6, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

What does the Messages App > Preferences >Accounts > iMessages account pane show you on the Mac ?

Does it list the Apple ID across the top with the Sign Out and Detail Buttons underneath ? yes, it shows both email ID's but not he phone #

Is that followed by the Receive At list ? the 3 sections it shows are:

• apple ID, this shows 1 of my email addresses and its enabled.
  • the next section is "you can be reached for messages at: this shows both email accounts (both checked) and an add email button
  • the last section is "send read receipts and it is checked. there is also a drop down selection for start new conversations from: that has 1 of my email addresses listed.

Does this include the iPhone Number ? no, my phone number is not shown anywhere.

Jan 6, 2015 11:18 AM in response to chrisn2sf

Hi,

On the iPhone in Settings > Messages is the app Enabled (green) ?

In the Send and Receive section does it list both the iPhone Number (with Country Code) and the Apple ID ?

Is the iPhone Number ticked ?

User uploaded file

7:18 pm Tuesday; January 6, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 6, 2015 11:38 AM in response to chrisn2sf

Hi,

+1 is the Country Code for the United States.

Add the Apple ID.

This will make a Pop up appear on the Mac as the Apple ID and iPhone Number are then linked at the Server.

You need to Accept the pop up on the Mac.

This adds the iPhone Number to the "Receive At" list and show s the "Start Conversation From" drop down which will also show the iPhone Number as an option.

User uploaded file

7:38 pm Tuesday; January 6, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 7, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for all your help and time Ralph. My phone # shows that I can be reached on iMessage with my email address with check marks. the start conversations from also shows my phone # and is checked. My sisters phone # still shows as not being registered with iMessage and therefore I cannot send her any messages. I think I'll stop here until I return to the states next week and I'm sure that will clear everything back up once I'm on the ATT network. just ***** that it didn't work while I was on vacation.

again, appreciate all of your help.

Chris

Feb 15, 2015 2:00 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph, I too have a question for you as you seem to be very knowledgeable with iPhones/iPads etc..! First off I'm sorry for going into an already established thread but I can't work out how to start my own!

i have the iPhone 4S and just purchased the iPad air 2. I have synced the two devices however I am having 2 issues whith it.

1) in iMessage some contacts are showing as red not registered while others are syncing and messaging fine.

2) my calendar appears to be syncing between the two NOW but won't sync what's already in my iPhone calendar.

I Would greatly appreciate any advice you could share with me!!!

contact number not registered with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.