Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8.1.2 - keyboard doesn't appear

I was hoping that the update to 8.1.2 would fix this bug, but it didn't. A few times a day, I will be in various parts of my phone expecting and requiring a keyboard. Instead what I see is either no keyboard or attempt to open (not even an empty panel where it would appear), or an empty panel and no keyboard. The types of places I've seen this happen is I use the global search and no keyboard at all, or iMessage I'll click in the textbox for the message and it won't even slide up so that a keyboard will load. I've seen this same behavior in iMessage, email - everywhere. Not sure what causes this. I've even done a hard reset of my phone, shut it completely off, restarted it, then observed that it still wouldn't show me the keyboard.

When this happens I have to wait typically 1-2 minutes, and trial and error going through different screens trying to hope that it eventually will work.

If someone can please fix this I would appreciate it. I'm sure there are others experiencing this same thing. In the meantime is there anything I might be able to do?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 6:20 PM

14 replies

Jun 10, 2017 6:16 AM in response to glenfromdalllas

I'll go one better! Trying to login into this forum, the keyboard refused to appear in the login field but appeared in the password field.. Repeatedly! I had to do a work around to get in! Furthermore, on Facebook the keyboard will not appear in the first level of comments, but will appear for second level, replies to a comment. There is no sense in this! In my browser, when I click the url bar I get no keyboard until I first clear all content! I had trouble with the keyboard in previous versions of the iOS, but not for a good while until the latest update, which installed overnight while I was asleep... This is annoying on a device that costs so much... Apple is getting worse! Users of other products don't seem to have these issues.... My wife is an Android user and almost never complains about her device.

Jan 2, 2015 6:45 PM in response to ManSinha

I've seen it from the beginning of updating to IOS 8 - so I guess since 9/18 or somewhere around there.

yes, I do have 2-3 third party keyboards. I tried a couple others in the past thinking that might have been the problem, but I deleted them. Now I just have 2 third party keyboards and this problem remains. If it only happened with one particular keyboard then I would blame it, so it seems a bit strange. I had Swype which I saw the problem with. I deleted that one, the problem still remained. I now use Nintype and see that issue as well.

Jan 15, 2015 10:44 AM in response to glenfromdalllas

glenfromdalllas wrote:

pardon my ignorance. But does anyone know if Apple knows about this issue and is working on it? No one here would know for sure, since we are users like you.

Is there a better place to provide feedback to Apple? Feedback to Apple goes to their feedback page, www.apple.com/feedback and then click on the appropriate subject.

Do apple employees actually look on here and respond or is it just all of us peers? Apple may look here, but in the TOS, it is stated they do not participate in the forum. This is classed as a user to user forum.

Mar 16, 2015 12:44 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

The problem is that the keyboard just does not show up when I need to make a text input. Erratically. Though Not consistently enough that I can demonstrate the problem to the Apple technician. Particularly on Messages- New or Reply. (Whatsapp never has this problem) Usually a hard reboot solves the problem. But its a pain to reboot everytime. It makes me feel that Ive paid a small fortune for a sub standard phone and being punished for my loyalty to APPLE.

And I dont think this is a IOS8/ IOS8.1 problem. I had this problem on my older iPhone4 also, where there was no question about a 3rd party Keyboard. I use Iphone 6+/ 64GB/ IOS8.1 in Mumbai, India and also have TouchPal as the 3rd party keyboard.

RESET only solves the problem temporarilly. Anyone with a lasting solution? Thanks :-)

Jul 9, 2015 2:21 PM in response to glenfromdalllas

I just had a chat with Apple Support and they gave me some instructions that seem to have sorted my keyboard issue.

They ran diagnostics on my iPhone 6 and found that the Facebook App was using a lot of memory. It was using most of the device memory, also used by other apps. I deleted the FB app and also went to settings> Facebook> and deleted account. (You can re-install Facebook again)

Also you need to reset your device by holding down the home button and the sleep/wake power button on side until device reboots and the apple logo shows on your screen. You then need to reset all settings. Settings> General> Reset> Reset all settings

My keyboard appears now every time I go into iMessage and not just at random.

IOS 8.1.2 - keyboard doesn't appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.