Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I enlarge the viewing screen?

I am logging into my old MacPro (running 10.7 as it cannot be upgraded...) and the viewing screen is very small - only about the sixth the size of the monitor.

Main trouble is that the apps on the ARD screen are still LARGE out of proportion to the home screen so that they hang outside the ARD screen area. I can make smaller in the horizontal dimension but not vertically.... Odd.

It did go large (the entire monitor) during a reset of one of the computers but I'm not sure which one. Have tried the preference settings in ARD as well as trying to change the screen resolution of the target computer. This process doesn't change the size and occasionally hangs the computer...

Thanks for any advice

Phillip

using MacMini 16Gb RAM Yosemite (brand new) ARD 3.7.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 6:57 PM

6 replies

Jan 4, 2015 9:32 AM in response to viola67

After reading your posting several times, I am still very confused.

Could you please explain, as if explaining to a child, which display is in use, which Mac it is directly attached to, and what ARD or Screen Sharing screens you are trying to display on it.

Also, please restate in the clearest way you can 'what is the fundamental problem'.

Jan 4, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for your reply

I'll try again....!

Fundamental problem - cannot enlarge ARD on my monitor and I cannot reduce in all driections some of the application windows inside ARD screen.

So I have a new MacMini 16GB 10.10 with old Mac monitor. I am using ARD to log into my old MacPro now used as a file server given can only run 10.7 max. So when I log into this machine that the ARD viewing screen is very small on my monitor i.e. is only about a sixth of the monitor's real estate... I cannot enlarge it any further by dragging the corner of the viewer nor in any of the setting in ARD preferences. I have tried to reconfigure 'Displays'' on the MacPro but usually this only seems to hang the MacPro

I did start both machines once and when activating ARD it returned a large screen view filling the whole screen but I have been unable to recreate this.

Thanks for your efforts...

Phillip

Jan 4, 2015 8:04 PM in response to viola67

This problem seems to share some of the same issues as Screen Sharing.

The size of the shared window displayed (using these tools) is the size (in pixels) of the window that would be displayed on the attached monitor on the source computer (old Mac Pro in this case).

To increase the size of the sharing window, increase the screen size in pixels on the source computer (the old Mac Pro). If you change these settings using ARD or Screen Sharing, be prepared to drop the connection and connect again, because ARD or Screen Sharing will become completely flummoxed by the change in resolution (it may seem to crash).

There are also two settings in Screen Sharing and probably the same ones in ARD. These are:

Show screen full size Vs. Scale to available space .AND.

Show screen at full quality Vs. Adapt to network conditions (faster)

Jan 4, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

HI Grant

ehen I check the preferences (in fact I have iTunes set as an automatic login as the computer runs my apple tv) it prompts me to increase the screen settings to a higher rate. When opening the display preferences it indicates that it is set to 800x... the lowest setting. when I try to click on a higher rate the usual message will open 'your screen settings will change in 15seconds etc...' But the screen neither goes black nor changes resolution in any way. Often this mesdage will not show and the display will freeze - being unable to respond. If I click on the screen then occasionally something else will open such ad s movie may start playing. This implies to me that I am clicking somewhere where the screen is not showing me.

I Have reconnected a monitor etc to the source computer and when I do the settings are back at a higher resolution. The settings shown are DIFFERENT than the ones I see when connecting via ARD. The ARD ones give settings listing different Hz options.

Have tried changing settings in ARD preferences such fit to screen and open in full window but this doesn't change the view size

i I suspect that when a monitor is not connected to the source computer then the source computer reverts to its default screen resolution setting. I wonder if this is changeable - not possible in system settings....

Jan 5, 2015 12:30 AM in response to viola67

HI Grant

Have just tested my theory and is correct - when I log in from another computer with the monitor remaining connected to the source computer the ARD screen size is large.

So question is can I change the default screen size on the source computer when no monitor is connected or do I buy a cheap screen as a dummy? Sort of defeats the purpose of ARD really....

Phillip

how can I enlarge the viewing screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.