Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-establishing the iTunes Library on a New Computer

OK, I just got a new MS Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1. I have ALL my iTunes files (downloaded from the iTunes Store and burned from my proprietary CD collection), which consists of nearly 6,000 tracks, on an external HD. When I reinstalled iTunes on my NEW computer, it only shows the album artwork for those songs I downloaded from the Store, with an iCloud icon in the lower right corner. I have been trying to get the newly installed iTunes to import all my files off my external HD into the iTunes interface, which I successfully did on my old computer. What am I doing wrong, now?! Grrrr . . .

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 8:07 PM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2015 5:39 AM in response to berndogga

Did you copy the entire iTunes folder to the external drive, or the iTunes Media folder?

If the latter, copy over the bits you left behind and arrange everything so that the iTunes folder contains the library files, and the Album Artwork & iTunes Media folders. You are best placing the iTunes folder at the root of the drive.

Once everything is on the external drive you can connect it to the new machine. Press and hold down shift as you click the icon to launch iTunes and keep holding until prompted to choose or create a library. Click choose, then browse to and open \iTunes\iTunes Library.itl on the external drive. Or, if there is room, you can copy the entire iTunes folder into your user's Music folder and operate it from there.

tt2

Jan 3, 2015 6:47 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I saw this solution in the forum. I tried it again, after uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, and it does not work. iTunes only shows the album artwork for media I downloaded from the iTunes Store, with the iCloud icon in the lower right. This means it is not actually on my computer, yet I can see the actual MP3 files on my external HD. The same goes for all my proprietary content, which I imported from CDs I bought over the years. ALL this content is physically on my HD, and I successfully synchronized this content for months on my old computer, because ~ 6,000 tracks takes up a lot memory on the C drive. Now, I just need to figure out how to get iTunes to recognize this content and sync with it.

Jan 3, 2015 7:09 AM in response to berndogga

See Make a split library portable for some more background. Uninstalling & reinstalling iTunes doesn't change anything. You need the complete library, not just the media. You either put the iTunes library folder where iTunes is currently looking for it, or press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes so you can point it at the correct library file.

tt2

Jan 3, 2015 10:21 AM in response to turingtest2

OK. That article helped out a lot. So, I have everything squared away and "matched up" ON MY COMPUTER. However, now I cannot seem to sync the files onto my IPHONE. :-/ My Sync bar shows that I have just 60/5700+ songs on my iPhone. When I go to Music "On My Device," it shows these 60 song titles grayed out with a dotted circle in the leftmost column . . . ????

Jan 3, 2015 11:14 AM in response to berndogga

You would do this only if the library on the computer has all of your content. Backing up the device will store all of the personal data associated with each app on the device. For media this includes the selections of content in terms of playlists etc. When you restore all of the selected content should come back to the device, with no greyed out items. If there is a chance that you don't have all of the content, or you've not managed to recover the original library completely, see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Jan 3, 2015 4:46 PM in response to berndogga

Sounds like you got something wrong. You should not have had to add anything to the library, so you shouldn't have managed to create duplicates.

Apple's official advice on duplicates is here at the link you've posted: Find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library. It is a manual process and the article fails to explain some of the potential pitfalls such as lost ratings and playlist membership, or that sometimes the same file can be represented by multiple entries in the library and that deleting one and recycling the file will break the other.

Use Shift > View > Show Exact Duplicate Items to display duplicates as this is normally a more useful selection. You need to manually select all but one of each group to remove. Sorting the list by Date Added may make it easier to select the appropriate tracks, however this works best when performed immediately after the dupes have been created. If you have multiple entries in iTunes connected to the same file on the hard drive then don't send to the recycle bin.

Use my DeDuper script if you're not sure, don't want to do it by hand, or want to preserve ratings, play counts and playlist membership. See this thread for background, this post for detailed instructions, and please take note of the warning to backup your library before deduping.

(If you don't see the menu bar press ALT to show it temporarily or CTRL+B to keep it displayed.)

The most recent version of the script can tidy dead links as long as there is at least one live duplicate to merge stats and playlist membership to and should cope sensibly when the same file has been added via multiple paths.

tt2

Jan 4, 2015 10:33 AM in response to berndogga

Make sure the device is backed up on the new computer.

Check that iTunes agrees that there is no content when you look at Device > On My Device > Music.

User uploaded file

In the image above the greyed out line are failed transfers from an earlier attempt to sync. Those tracks wouldn't show on the device, and repeated syncing didn't fix it. I had to uncheck all such tracks, sync, then check again before they would sync.

Check the sync selections under Device > Music to make sure you still have content selected to sync.

tt2

Re-establishing the iTunes Library on a New Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.