Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My FileVault encryption has been stuck on "Estimating Time Remaining" for the last 24 hrs - help!

Updated Yosemite - and for some reason, it just started encrypting the File Vault - which is fine, but it is hung on "estimating time remaining" for the last 24hrs. I'm freaking out a bit and have searched the forums for advice. I've tried pressing Option + Command + P + R but it just makes a flicking noise and doesn't do anything - HELP! 😟 😟

And there is no Apple Store in the UAE - where i am based...

Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 6:37 PM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2015 6:51 PM in response to lisasz

How big and how full is your disk?

Can you do anything at all while the encryption is in progress like run another app or bring up a Terminal window? If you can take a look a the file /var/log/system.log file (e.g. "more /var/log/system.log" in a Terminal window - don't type the double quotes).

Here is a link about a similar sounding problem:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12188

good luck...

Jan 2, 2015 7:31 PM in response to lisasz

No problem -

The web link above shows examples of what you might see (want to look what's near the end - but basically looking for some error messages that will give a hint as to what is going on - the time and date of the event should be compared with the messages that happened near that time - does that make sense?). Did you read that web page? They said what they did to abort the FileVault encryption and recover and start the encryption again (but it sounds like you didn't really want to do the FileVault in the first place - correct?)

Jan 2, 2015 7:43 PM in response to lisasz

I Know this sounds ridiculous, but I have no idea how to reboot/verify etc as the first article suggested... :-/ - I think I'm a lost cause.

when updating Yosemite, I wasnt asked anything about FileVault, I just pressed "update"... I have the password, not recovery key.

tthough on the terminal screen it does say "basic earn DD_Warn: Corrupt NSEC RDATA size" - whatever that means?!

so frustrating!

and thank you!

My FileVault encryption has been stuck on "Estimating Time Remaining" for the last 24 hrs - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.