Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When should I charge my iPhone 6?

Do I have to wait until battery is down to 20% before charging my iPhone 6? I would like to just charge it whenever I have the time like when I am in my car so that it always has a full charge. Is this a bad idea? Does it hurt the battery life if I charge it too often?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 9:18 PM

It has become a habit that at night on my wife's iPhone to double click the selector button and swipe all open apps off screen. (Closing running apps). Plug in to charger and power down the phone. 20 to 25% is good or if it tells you to connect. There's not much else I can suggest. Your usage, Wi-Fi conectivity time, streaming video, Bluetooth "On time" and data streaming will dictate the frequency of the charging cycle.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2015 9:18 PM in response to Surfstroller

It has become a habit that at night on my wife's iPhone to double click the selector button and swipe all open apps off screen. (Closing running apps). Plug in to charger and power down the phone. 20 to 25% is good or if it tells you to connect. There's not much else I can suggest. Your usage, Wi-Fi conectivity time, streaming video, Bluetooth "On time" and data streaming will dictate the frequency of the charging cycle.

Jan 2, 2015 9:34 PM in response to Templeton Peck

I was told by the salesman at store to always wait until the battery runs down to 20% or the battery will not last as long. Is this true? I fill my gas tank in my car when it is half full because I always want to make sure I have gas in an emergency. I guess that is the way I feel about charging the phone. I want to make sure it is always fully charged in case of emergency. So I waould like to just plug it in anytime I get the chance instead of waiting until it gets low. Do you really think it is okay to do that?

Jan 3, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Surfstroller

Surfstroller wrote:

I was told by the salesman at store to always wait until the battery runs down to 20% or the battery will not last as long. Is this true?

No, this is not true. Charge the phone whenever you need to or want to. Also, double clicking the Home button and removing apps from the recents list is rarely, if ever necessary. Don't waste your time doing that. The only time you'd need to do that is if a particular app is causing a problem.

When should I charge my iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.