Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm unable to add my 9 year to family sharing as I have to put in credit card details , I don't have one . I only use a debit card.

I Want to add my 9 year old to family sharing , due to not having a credit card only a debit Visa card , is there any other way I can add hI'm ?

iPad, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 8:42 AM

Apple requires a credit card to be entered for child accounts : Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids :

To comply with child online privacy protection laws, you will use the CVV or security code from a valid credit card as part of providing your parental consent. If the card on file is a debit card or another payment method, you’ll be asked to provide a credit card before you can continue. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card.

So as it stands you won't be able to without a credit card. You can try leaving feedback for Apple, but if it's there for online privacy laws then it's presumably unlikely to change : http://www.apple.com/feedback/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to gillianfrommtg

Apple requires a credit card to be entered for child accounts : Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids :

To comply with child online privacy protection laws, you will use the CVV or security code from a valid credit card as part of providing your parental consent. If the card on file is a debit card or another payment method, you’ll be asked to provide a credit card before you can continue. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card.

So as it stands you won't be able to without a credit card. You can try leaving feedback for Apple, but if it's there for online privacy laws then it's presumably unlikely to change : http://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 3, 2015 12:58 PM in response to King_Penguin

I have never heard about not being able to use a debit card with the visa/MasterCard logo for payment method and to set up the account or child account. I have been able to use my debit card with MasterCard logo with all. I have had no problems what so ever. I know others that also do the same using debit cards with Visa/Mastet add logo and again they never had an issue doing this either. I have never heard of this before And I have never heard of anyone having issues with their debit cards jot being accepted for it. Come on Apple. With technology today and how far advanced Apple is and there is this minor issue that shouldn't even be a problem for anyone.

I'm unable to add my 9 year to family sharing as I have to put in credit card details , I don't have one . I only use a debit card.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.