Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How is the iMac G4 performing after all this time?

I have a 1TB hard drive connected to an AirPort Express which have 2 500GB partitions, one for downloads, my itunes library and the other for time machine backups. I use this itunes library on my macbook, and is not working as expected. Sometimes all the artworks disappears and is very slow to manage the library without an ethernet cable connecting the PORTABLE computer on the AirPort... it's really boring. So, i want to buy a computer to use as iTunes & print/scanning server, but i don’t want to pay much for this.

The iMac G4 is an incredible beautiful machine which i wanted since i was 7 years old. I really want to buy a refurbished one, but i need to make sure that it can run iTunes 10 and OS X Leopard or the machine will be useless and a waste of money.

Magic Mousw-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Is

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 9:24 PM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2015 11:22 AM in response to R4PH4HB

Be aware that all the PowerMacs are pretty much dead in the water for many modern web pages. The technology in those pages abandoned the "G" series processor long ago. I keep my G4 Tower limping along on the Web by using TenFourFox. Web sites see it as a reasonably current version of FireFox--newer than any version of FF that will run on a G-series--so you don't get all the "this browser is not supported" messages, but current versions of TenFourFox do not support plug-ins so you can't run Flash player, meaning no videos will play that rely on Flash.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

If you go for a G4--they are indeed lovely to behold--I recommend going for the latest version with a 1.25Ghz processor. Theose also have USB 2.0 so are not so sluggardly with backups to external drives. They can also handle up to 2GB RAM with teh proper models.

Here are my "big" caveats:

1) The G4 iMac was never inteded to be user-serviceable. If you have to max the RAM, replace the hard drive or the optical drive, or even chenge a little $5 internal backup battery, it is a major teardown that is not one for the average user. Failing to reassemble to strict requirements can cause the computer to overheat and fail. If you are not up to the challenge and seek outsire help, be aware that Apple no longer will do any work on the G4 iMac.

2) Software: Almost no new software will run on a G4 Mac. You will be searching for used packages contemporary with a 2004 computer. Office 2004 is the sweet spot for that one. However, Office 2008 will run on a G4, G5, or an Intel iMac.

3) Check the chrome display arm carefully for proper movement and that it stays in place. After 10+ years, many are now rather "tired" and droop unattractively.

How is the iMac G4 performing after all this time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.