Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.0.1.26 opens and then freezes...Temp fix...Why?

Hi, I'm new here so bare with me.....
I Have installed , uninstalled , looked for DLL's to remove....Every suggestion out there, and my iTunes still freezes.

This is what's happening...

It opens, then appears to stop, some functions still work like right clicking on menu files, but to get the iTunes screen to change I have to close, and r-open iTunes.

However, I found the only thing that makes it work properly for one time use ( one time because if you close it and open it again it goes back to freezing) Is I install a ITunes alternative program that opens iTunes for me, I don't use the alternative program, its not free....but it allows me to use iTunes for as long as I don't close it.....If I close iTunes I uninstall the alternative program and reinstall it and iTunes works.....My question is why????

iPhone 6, Other OS, windows 8.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 8:14 AM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2015 9:43 AM in response to DMD247Ca

Hmm. Did the behaviour persist in a different user account?

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Jan 3, 2015 4:19 PM in response to turingtest2

Nothing changed in all the methods, It opens, sometimes showing my music list or what ever I tried to click on prior to closing it. I completely cleaned my computer of iTunes, and reinstalled it. Tried new user account and still the same. It only works in the method I explained before, so I figure the alternate program that I installed, when launched, opens iTunes for me and maybe blocks whatever is causing the hang up., but only for the first use. iTunes still works even when I close the alternate program, as long as I keep iTunes running....once its closed that's it, it freezes when I open it again.

Jan 6, 2015 4:02 PM in response to DMD247Ca

Ok, I have tried some compatibility setting using program compatibility troubleshooting, and if I use windows 8 compatibility, it still froze, then when it ask "did this work" I clicked "No try different settings" then I checked off" program doesn't display properly", and "additional permissions required". I then click test program... It open as it is suppose to, and runs fine. I save new settings, still fine. While program compatibility trouble-shooter is still open, I open and close the program several times and all is fine. I have now closed the Trouble shooter and it is still working,... I did however had to go through this process several times until it stayed working, who knows what will happen when I shut down my computer....I'll let you know...

'

The only difference is that now I get the" do you want this program to make changes to your computer" warning that I just have to give permission....

Itunes 12.0.1.26 opens and then freezes...Temp fix...Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.