Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old iMac as second screen.

I have an old iMac from around 2010-ish that can't really keep up with the work I'm doing. I recently bought a new Macbook Pro (retina) with the hope that I could use the old iMac as a dual screen. It (iMac) has two thunderbolt outputs so I bought an adapter from tech link that said "Mini display (thunderbolt post march 2011) port to HDMI" (http://www.techlink.uk.com/products/wires_cables/wiresmedia/wiresmedia_media/wir esmedia_mini_displayport_plug_to_hdmi_adaptor). I plugged it into the HDMI port on my Macbook Pro and pressed cmd + fn + F2 on the iMac but nothing happened.

Could anyone help me figure this out?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 7:29 AM

5 replies

Jan 3, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Niel

I've already been through everything on that site and didn't really get anywhere - why can't I use HDMI? I was told in the store it shouldn't be a problem and how about connecting at as a second screen to a PC then? It makes no sense that I can't use HDMI, that's how I've always connected second screens...

Using old iMac as second screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.