Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express (1st gen) will not reset

Hello,

I recently upgraded to a new Airport Extreme Time Capsule from an older generation. I set up the network using a new network name and I have attempted to reset my Airport Express several times with no luck. I have attempted a hard reset by holding in the reset button. The lights will go off and then blink amber rapidly until I release. At no point does the unit blink green. I attempted a factory reset by unplugging, holding the reset button, and plugging back in while continuing to hold the reset button. Again, the lights blink amber rapidly, but will not blink green. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 7:46 AM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2015 8:15 AM in response to srs0203

Why do you expect it to flash green? According to the following, "If you choose Flash On Activity from the Status Light pop-up menu (in the Base Station pane of AirPort settings in AirPort Utility), the status light will flash green to indicate normal activity."

AirPort base stations: About AirPort base station status lights (LED) - Apple Support

The easiest way to verify a factory reset is the SSID which should read "Airport Network <last 6 of MAC address>".

Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2015 8:23 AM in response to srs0203

I have attempted a hard reset by holding in the reset button.

A Hard Reset is performed with an AirPort router by powering it on for a minute or two, then holding in the reset button for 8-10 seconds and releasing. The AirPort will restart, first with a solid amber light, then it will turn to slow, blinking amber.

It will stay slow, blinking amber until the device has new network settings, at which time it will turn solid green. The AirPort will not blink green continuously.....unless it is defective.

I attempted a factory reset by unplugging, holding the reset button, and plugging back in while continuing to hold the reset button.

That would be correct, as long as you held the reset button in 8-10 seconds before releasing. As mentioned above, the AirPort will restart, first with solid amber light, then turn to slow, blinking amber after about 30 seconds.

After a Factory Default Reset, the AirPort will display a slow, blinking amber light until the device has new network settings, at which time it will turn solid green. The AirPort will not blink green continuously.....unless it is defective.

If you need some help setting up the AirPort Express, we need to know which model you have. Please locate the model number on the side of the Express. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Next, we need to know what version of AirPort Utility that you are using. That is the same application that you used to set up the Time Capsule.

Airport Express (1st gen) will not reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.