Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC hard drive available capacity incorrect

I have a mid 2011 imac 27"- I moved files to OWC backup drive. Trash is empty- says i have 72 gb available. If i go to hard drive it says I have 72 gb avail, the "users" says 72 gb available. But if I open "USERS" and check the 8 items and add them - it is a total of 368gb....so i should have over 600 gb available?

How do i make it recalculate this. seems to be counting the external drive contents against the imac hard drive total.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.1.2, OWC external 500GB usb drive

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 9:12 AM

17 replies

Jan 3, 2015 9:22 AM in response to braininpa

There are lots of other files needed for the system, as well as applications. You can get a different view of what's on your drive by clicking "About this Mac" under the apple menu, then select the "storage" tab. You get a nice colorful chart of all your drives, with a breakdown of the amount of storage used by type - photos, movies, apps etc.

Jan 3, 2015 9:39 AM in response to braininpa

The "other" category is basically stuff that doesn't fall clearly in the other categories, and can be quite large. You can read about it here:

OS X: What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support

Something that many people are unaware of that might help you gain space if you use iPhoto or Aperture a lot, is that they both have their own trash. Images you've deleted from iPhoto aren't actually removed from your HD unless you choose "Empty iPhoto trash", under the iPhoto menu. If you have a relatively recent SLR and shoot in RAW this can amount to a substantial amount of space recovered (many GB).

Jan 3, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Lexiepex

I did a restart, reset SMC, tried to reset PRAM a couple days ago - I had a graphics error that was making my screen flash and then computer would auto restart. When I tried to reset PRAM i got a screen that was white and green striped- and the computer kept auto booting - would not stop. I started in safe mode and ran disk utility to correct errors, updated to yosemite also. Now at least the screen problem is fixed. Not sure I want to try the PRAM reset again - after what i saw last time!

Jan 3, 2015 11:39 AM in response to braininpa

but if I do that from time machine wont i get the same result- hard drive at 920 GB with only 360 GB of ACTUAL files on it?

TimeMachine has everything in it, even the "impurities", so TM may not be the best way to go now.

If you copy only the user data (documents, music, movies, and so on) by hand the new disk must have larger size than that altogether. Nowadays disks are mostly 1TB or more so that must be more than enough.

Before use, FORMAT the new drive MAC OS Extended (journaled).

Do never install any "smart" software that comes with it: counterproductive (and sometimes even crippling) in a Mac.

Lex

IMAC hard drive available capacity incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.