Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Macintosh HD" available space issue

So I recently purchased this Mac (Retina MacBook 15", Late 2013) and everything was hunky-dory. However, recently, after playing some video games, I noticed that I was no longer able to save the game. The game in question (The Witcher) prompted me with a dialog box that says that there is no more space to save the game. I knew that I had over 300 GB free on my main partition, since I don't use a lot of it. But when I checked Disk Utility, this happened.

User uploaded file

Here, it shows that there are only 18.9 MB left in free space. When I click on the actual partition, this is what I get:

User uploaded file

Obviously, there is some disconnect between the actual partition and the hard drive itself. When I press "About This Mac," it also shows the correct amount of space:

User uploaded file

Any help would be appreciated. I turned Time Machine on and off, rebooted, repaired Disk Permissions and the Disk, but nothing changed. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 11:10 AM

The screenshots are normal for a Core Storage logical volume group, which is what you have. Your second screenshot shows the correct value for available space on the startup volume.

8 replies

Jan 3, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Iku

Start up in Recovery mode, launch Disk Utility, select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name), and run Repair Disk (not Repair Permissions.) If any problems are found, repeat. Then restart as usual.

If you don't already have a current backup, you must back up your data before you take the above step. You may be able to back up, even if the system isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Directory corruption in a MacOS journaled volume is always the result of a drive malfunction. It's not caused by power failures, system crashes, or anything else. You might choose to tolerate such a malfunction once in the life of a drive. If it's repeated, the drive must be replaced, or there is some other hardware fault that needs to be corrected. Ignoring repeated directory errors will result in data loss.

Jan 3, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Iku

You should not run/use fsck via terminal on system which is currently in use. Possibly, that is the reason, why you are getting in result that Macintosh HD Volume is corrupted.

If Disk Utility run through Recovery Mode does not show any errors, then your Macintosh HD Volume is ok. If you need to run fcsk, here you have information, how to use it: Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2015 12:10 PM in response to iW00

I already tried everything mentioned. I ran Disk Utility through Recovery, and it said that the hard drive is okay. However, when I ran fsck through Recovery (and through Single-User Mode), it said that the hard drive is corrupted and needs to be repaired. I'm going to the Apple Store later today to see if maybe I'm missing something.

And the system itself works just fine. There don't appear to be any issues with OS X. There is only that one corruption error.

Jan 3, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Iku

This HD is definitely corrupt. The name "Macintosh HD" should only be on the partition, not on the actual drive. The physical drive should be showing a name like "751.28 GB APPLE SSD SM768E Media". That is obvious corruption plus that pic of DU is missing tons of info about the drive that should be showing like this.

Disk Description : APPLE SSD SM768E Media Total Capacity : 751.28 GB (751,277,983,744 Bytes)

Connection Bus : SATA Write Status : Read/Write

Type and Location : Solid State Disk, Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

It should not be showing the info that would show for a partition.

"Macintosh HD" available space issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.