Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.2 WiFi disconnects

Ever since updating to iOS 8.1.2 my iphone 6 plus and my iPad 3 frequently disconnect from public WiFI's such as Google, AT&T, or XFinity. I didn't have this problem before with iOS 7 or 8. Is there a fix or do I have to wait for iOS 8.2?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2, Verizon, 64 GB

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 12:09 PM

4 replies

Jan 5, 2015 6:18 AM in response to NJAnalyst

Hi NJAnalyst,

Happy New Year! The resource below will provide some troubleshooting steps you can take if your iPhone or iPad disconnects from Wi-Fi. I've highlighted some of the key points in the article that apply to public networks.

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS1398

1. Restart your iOS device.
Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
Tap User uploaded file and Forget this Network.
Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.

2. Reset network settings by tapping
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Note: This will reset all network settings including:previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords, recently used Bluetooth accessories, and VPN and APN settings

3. Check for sources of potential interference.

4. Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if signal strength improves.

5. If you're using a public or commercial network, you may need to log in or subscribe.

6. Check to see if you have a self-assigned IP address:Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected and tap User uploaded file.
If your IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, you may not be able to access the Internet.

If you do not have a self-assigned IP address, see if other Wi-Fi devices on your network have Internet access.
If they do not, consult with your network administrator or ISP for further assistance.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Jan 8, 2015 3:55 PM in response to NJAnalyst

I have this problem, too. After a bit of investigation, here are my facts:

The problem is the same for the following devices, all having upgraded to iOS 8.1.2:

- My iPhone 5

- My son's iPhone 4

- My mother's iPad Air

The same problem appears on several different Wifi points:

- At home

- At my work

- At my mother's home

Only iOS 8.1.2 devices have the problem on these Wifi points, no none-8.1.2 devices I've tried have the problem.

Symptoms:

- The Wifi symbol in the general top status line does NOT show

- The Wifi is not working

- The Wifi network DOES show in the Settings->Wi-Fi

- When clicking into the Wifi settings, the network is shown as trying to connect (circle turning, but no connected check mark)

Restarting the device resolves it for a while, without any of Judy's other suggestions. But the problem comes back after a while (some hours). I haven't tried Reset Network Settings, because it's more of a hassle.

My conclusion: iOS 8.1.2 is the problem. Not the devices. Not the Wifi networks. Not interference, weak signals, missing logins or anything else.

Jan Erik

iOS 8.1.2 WiFi disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.