Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac diagnostics will not start in Mavericks

Hard drive is clicking at start up sometimes and when I come back to my Mac after it goes to sleep, sometimes I can't get a login screen. I have to manually reboot at times.

OS 10.9.5 Mavericks

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core I5

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I'm thinking hard drive failure but can't get to the hardware diagnostics at start up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mark

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 3:53 PM

Mark,

Your machine will not run Apple Diagnostics per Using Apple Diagnostics - Apple Support, please carefully read and then use the correct tool which is Apple Hardware Test.

4 replies

Jan 3, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Mark Coffman

Is there anything in the folder /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics

If you have the Apple Diagnostics installed there should be two folders and a diags.efi file I think - the names of the folders depends on your hardware. If you don't have the Apple Diagnostics you MIGHT find a copy at https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest (not all systems but many)

Good luck

Imac diagnostics will not start in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.