Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best OSX for tray loading iMac G3

Hi i will be getting a blueberry trayloading iMac G3 from ebay and I was wondering what would be the most fastest and stable veirsion of OSX for an iMac G3.

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 3:28 PM

13 replies

Jan 3, 2015 6:31 PM in response to Knuckles2001

Maximum OS X version for your year and model iMac is OS X 10.3.9 Panther.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-10-3-Panther-OLD-VERSION/dp/B0000E6NK9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U TF8&qid=1420338185&sr=8-1&keywords=OS+X+10.3+Panther

You will need to first install, at least, OS 9.1 to install this fIrmware update to be able to install OS X 10.3 Panther.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-9-1-OLD-VERSION/dp/B000058E1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi d=1420338485&sr=8-1&keywords=Mac+OS+9.1

iMac Firmware Update 1.2

iMac Firmware Update 1.2: Document and Software

Jan 3, 2015 9:07 PM in response to Knuckles2001

A tray-loading iMac only needs OS 8.x installed on the internal hard drive, to run the Firmware 1.2 Update. The slot-loading models require OS 9.1 to run Firmware Update 4.1.9. You will need to have adequate storage capacity on the hard drive and I'd recommend at least 256 MBs of installed memory. More memory would be preferable. Keep in mind that the tray loading iMacs have either a 233 MHz, 266 MHz, or 333 MHz G3 processor. These are the entry-level speeds introduced in 1998, which are painfully slow by today's standards. Even with adequate hard drive capacity for the installation and more than enough installed memory to run Jaguar (10.2.x) or Panther (10.3.x), the computer will not be a speed demon. Internet use will be sluggish because of the slow CPU and slow graphics processor. If your expectations are reasonable, it will be a satisfactory, but performance-challenged, older computer.

Jan 4, 2015 11:14 AM in response to MichelPM

Because you wrote that the O.P. would "need to first install, at least, OS 9.1 to install this firmware update," I pointed out the OS 8.x compatibility with the update installer, just in case the iMac has been restored to its original configuration. He could immediately check the Firmware version using the Apple System Profiler and download/run the update if necessary, before finding an OS 9.x installer disk. If he wishes to boot from or run OS 9 in Classic from his OS X installation, he'll need to find an OS 9.x installer disk. There were a number of retail OS 9.1 installer disks produced, but not as many as the number of OS 9.0 disks sold. The 9.1 disks were always more difficult to find on ebay, even when there were so many listings for legacy retail installer disks about 5 years ago. The OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 Updates require OS 9.1 as a prerequisite, but all three updates are available off-site now, so he can still download and complete the OS 9 updating process.

Jan 4, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Knuckles2001

The latest os is 10.3 unless you somehow bootleg 10.4 on the machines. ( I think 10.4 is possible, but don't quote me on this. )

I do not think you need the latest firmware on the tray iMac g3's. There was a problem with the slot loading machines if you didn't have the latest firmware on them when you upgraded to 10.2 or later. I do remember people recommending the latest firmware for the tray loaders, however.

Open Firmware, boot into Open Firmware.

Power on your iMac while holding down command+option+o+f

The first output line contains the firmware level.

What firmware do you need?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

9.x might be the best OS for these machines. You could run:

Mac OS 9

Classilla is a free, open source browser for Mac OS 9

classilla.org

Jan 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Knuckles2001

Thank you for every ones reply I thin i might run 10.2 with 9.1

I'd say consider 10.3 anyway--RAM isn't that expensive. 10.2 needs almost as much RAM and, to me, felt like it was still a bit "beta."

The big issue common to 10.2 was the "invalid key length error." The only way to really rid yourself of it is an Archive and Install of the OS. It would not be so bad were it not for the fact that the error keeps coming back. On the standard scale of computer use irritation I give that a:

User uploaded file

I had 10.2.8 on a Beige G3 and had to A&I about once every six weeks. Even though 10.3 was not supported on my G3, I used a helper application to install it and the computer ran like a charm. No more key length errors and the computer actually felt faster and I continued to use it long after it should have been put out to pasture.

Feb 17, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Knuckles2001

Once a pone-a-time I run 10.2 on a bondi-blue iMac. It ran ok. The pre-jive version of these forums were usable with patience. I heard the 10.3 version of X ran better. You should max out the memory to 512meg. You other choice would be 9.x. With the introduction of X. I run X for awhile, then switched back to 9.x. In 9.x, I had to run the mouse around more than 10.x. I switched back to 10.x.

You will not be able to use the modern internet in 10.3. If you could, your machine will be too slow.

Robert

Feb 21, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Knuckles2001

Hi Knuckles2001,

I have a blueberry iMac G3 which I run Mac OS 9.2 on. The G3 can run up to 10.3 but it will run quite slow and there are less apps for it. I run OS 9.2 because it is easier to find apps for it on Macintosh Garden and I don't need it connected to the Internet. If you need it to be connected to the Internet, I recommend OS X 10.1 or 10.2. I have tried these on my Mac and they run OK.

Hope this helps, sorry if my response is a bit late 😉

Regards, Seth

Best OSX for tray loading iMac G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.