Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot MANUALLY drag and drop ringtone tone m4r into iPhone 4

I manually manage my music on my iPhone - that is - I drag and drop songs from my iTunes playlist on my computer into "Devices - iPhone" in iTunes.

This option still works for my music (in mp3 format) however when dragging and dropping m4r files (ringtones / tones), the tone file appears in the "Tones" folder "Devices - iPhone - Tones" but does not copy over. The status circle appears to show that the file is about to copy but never actually copies. "Updating Files on..." appears in iTunes as does the circular arrows on my actual iPhone but then the screen returns to neutral and the file does not copy.

If check off "Sync Tones" in the iPhone Settings in iTunes, I will have to sync ALL my music files, not just my tones / ringtones. So this is not an option for me because, as stated above, I like to manually manage my music on my iPhone.

Please help!

Thx.

System: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

iTunes: 12.0.1.26

iPhone 4: iOS 7.1.2 (11D257)

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 5:10 PM

7 replies

Jul 29, 2016 1:12 PM in response to ohapear

Delete the .m4a that's I the music section after you dragged that out to change into .m4r

ill tell you all the steps I use:

1) select ringtone and shorten the song from where want the ring to start

2) convert to AAC version

3) drag out the shorten version and rename ".m4a" to ".m4r"

4) delete the shorten version of the ringtone in music

5) drag ".m4r" into music and should go into tones section

6) sync your device

Cannot MANUALLY drag and drop ringtone tone m4r into iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.