Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put boolean "Any" and "all" subrules in Itunes 12 Smart Playlists?

Hi,

After upgrading to iTunes 12, I can't seem to make smart playlists with boolean sub rules. In older itunes versions, there was a way to create a subgroup or rules joined by an and or or boolean operator -- labeled as "Any" or "All". Where did this go???

To clarify: I'd like to, e.g., create a smart playlist that includes all songs for which (Genre = Jazz or Genre = Pop) AND (Rating > 3 stars). Where did this feature go?

Thanks,

Mike

Yosemite / iTunes 12

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 11:30 AM

Mike,

Once you have at least two rules, the Match field will have a pulldown with "all" or "any" as the two choices.

8 replies

Jan 4, 2015 1:14 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks, but this isn't what I was asking about. The problem is not about being to choose any or all *overall*, but rather being able to make sub-rules, like the example I described.

(For example, I don't want to choose between "Jazz OR Pop OR 3stars" vs. "Jazz AND pop AND 3stars", but rather I want to do "(Jazz OR Pop) AND 3stars"...)

The Match option at the top is global.

Jan 4, 2015 1:15 PM in response to ed2345

Hi,

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to create the "Any" subgroup in your picture. For what it's worth, my window looks different than yours. (First, I'm on a mac, but second, I do not have the third "..." button next to rules, only the "-" and "+".) How do I create a new subgroup like the "Any" subgroup in your picture?

Thanks!

-Mike

Jan 4, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Mike G.

Mike G. wrote:

Hi,

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to create the "Any" subgroup in your picture. For what it's worth, my window looks different than yours. (First, I'm on a mac, but second, I do not have the third "..." button next to rules, only the "-" and "+".) How do I create a new subgroup like the "Any" subgroup in your picture?

Thanks!

-Mike

Mike, The answer to that is a little strange. On iTunes for Windows the ellipsis ( ... ) is always there, but on iTunes for Mac, it only appears when you use the Option key.

How do I put boolean "Any" and "all" subrules in Itunes 12 Smart Playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.