Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire Target Disk mode problem

I am trying to move data to an intel MacBook Pro from a 400 MHz G4 AGP graphics Mac with two drives on the ATA-4 Bus: (1) WDC WD102AA, my old storage drive,(disk 0) and (2) Maxtor 6Y160P0, my new drive that is the start up disk (disk 1). I use the G4 as the target computer and the MacBook Pro as the host computer. The G4 goes into firewire target disk mode, but the MacBook only shows one drive, which is always the old storage drive. The files I want to transfer are all on the new drive, but I can't get an image of that. How do I access the new dirve?

Thanks!

Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Oct 4, 2006 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2006 7:47 AM

A minor annoyance of TDM is that it will only work with the Master drive. Swap drive IDs by setting the old storage drive as SLAVE and startup drive as MASTER.
7 replies

Oct 4, 2006 8:27 AM in response to Kappy

A minor annoyance of TDM is that it will only work
with the Master drive. Swap drive IDs by setting the
old storage drive as SLAVE and startup drive as
MASTER.

It is becomming more than minor for me. I can't figure out how to swap the drive IDs. Disk utilities images>covvert option is greyed out. That was the most promising route I could find.

Oct 4, 2006 8:36 AM in response to HeyPK

You have to make those changes on the drives. It is determined by jumper settings on the hard drives themselves.

Depending upon the hard disk controller chip drive IDs may be determined by setting MASTER and SLAVE jumpers on the drives or by CABLE SELECT where the drive ID is determined by position on the ribbon cable (the drive at the end of the cable is the SLAVE.)

You will need to get into the computer and physically examine the drive jumper settings. If the drives are jumpered for CABLE SELECT then in order to change the ID you need to put the storage drive on the end connector of the ribbon cable. If the drives are jumpered as MASTER and SLAVE, then you don't need to change the ribbon cable positions, you only need to change the jumpers and make your startup drive the MASTER and the storage drive the SLAVE.

Oct 8, 2006 3:29 PM in response to HeyPK

Both drives must be set as CABLE SELECT or drive position will only be effective on the one drive.

A blinking question mark at startup means there's no bootable system on the drive. Boot the computer and after the chime press and hold the OPTION key down until the computer starts up in the Boot Manager screen. Select the drive that has your current system installed then click on the downward start arrow icon. This will force startup from the new drive. You will then need to use Startup Disk to set the new drive as your permanent startup drive.

Firewire Target Disk mode problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.