Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location services

We have recently upgraded to BT Infinity. We now have a problem with location services, which locates us in miles away from where we live. I understand through reading various support forums that it is due to the location services database having old data with regards to our new router. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the database to be updated so that it picks up the new location and is there any way that it can be prompted to change it?

iPad

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 1:15 AM

9 replies

Jan 4, 2015 1:21 AM in response to GB434

It won't change automatically:

You need to have an iPhone connected to your wifi network and receiving GPS signal.

most of the time, phones don't get GPS inside houses, so you'll need to have an iPhone (see if you can invite a friend who has one if you don't) outside, but not too far from the router as the iPhone's location will be the remembered location of the router.

the iPhone will update the database automatically in about 5 minutes, but it might take up to an hour for the database to fully sync and to see the change on your iPad.

Feb 23, 2015 12:42 AM in response to GB434

An update to the situation. Nothing happened after the visit from friend with iphone. I rang Apple and was put through to a senior care adviser. She came back to me later to ask if I could check if the new router had got a geo locator in it. I got onto BT and was advised it was a known problem and would be sorted out in about 2 weeks. After 3 weeks nothing had changed, so I rang BT again and spent 1 hour 40 mins speaking to people noneed of whom seemed to know about this "known problem". I rang and emailed the adviser from Apple that I'd spoken to before. That was about 2weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything. Then suddenly this morning my Location services are working. Two months after the router was changed.

Location services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.