Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto book not available in library copy

Dear all,

I have my iPhoto Library in a external drive, and replacing the external drive, I copied the Library to the new drive.

All looks fine using the copied Library in the new drive... except for the Books that I have made in iPhoto. They show up in the menu, but when I press the items, nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

I tried copying several times, but that does not help.

Regards,

Jeppe

MacOS 10.10.1

iPhoto 9.6

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 1:07 AM

Is your new external drive correctly formatted? It needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and directly connected. An iPhoto library must not be stored on a network volume. See these links:

If the format of your drive is not supported, save all content of the drive to a different location and reformat the drive using Disk Utility. Reformatting will erase the drive, so your documents and data must be moved elsewhere while you are doing this..

Once your drive has a supported format, repair your iPhoto Library with the iPhoto Library First Aid tools:

• Make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library, but don't overwrite any older backups.
  • To launch the "First Aid Tools" hold down the options-command keys ⌥⌘ while double clicking your iPhoto Library.
  • Keep the keys held down firmly until the First Aid panel appears.
  • Then select "Repair database" from the First Aid pane.
  • If this does not yet fix it, try the other options in turn, starting with Repair Permissions. Run "Rebuild Database" only if you have a good backup .User uploaded file
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2015 1:07 AM in response to jeppefalck

Is your new external drive correctly formatted? It needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and directly connected. An iPhoto library must not be stored on a network volume. See these links:

If the format of your drive is not supported, save all content of the drive to a different location and reformat the drive using Disk Utility. Reformatting will erase the drive, so your documents and data must be moved elsewhere while you are doing this..

Once your drive has a supported format, repair your iPhoto Library with the iPhoto Library First Aid tools:

• Make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library, but don't overwrite any older backups.
  • To launch the "First Aid Tools" hold down the options-command keys ⌥⌘ while double clicking your iPhoto Library.
  • Keep the keys held down firmly until the First Aid panel appears.
  • Then select "Repair database" from the First Aid pane.
  • If this does not yet fix it, try the other options in turn, starting with Repair Permissions. Run "Rebuild Database" only if you have a good backup .User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2015 7:45 AM in response to léonie

Thank you, Léonie, for your suggestions.

I have checked all volumes and they are all "MacOS Extended (Journaled)".

Then I tried to Repair Database, which was unsuccessful, and then subsequently Repair Permissions, Rebuild Thumbnails, and finally Repair Database.

None of it works, and I still have the same result. All photographies and folders are fine, except for the Books. Nothing happens when I select them. :-/

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Jeppe

Jan 11, 2015 7:10 AM in response to jeppefalck

No, I had not tested it, but I have now, and it works fine.

I can make and edit new books and cards.

Then iPhoto is working fine and it would not be of any use to reinstall iPhoto.

Only the books in your main library are corrupted. It looks like you tried all First Aid options, but rebuilding the library.

Then I tried to Repair Database, which was unsuccessful, and then subsequently Repair Permissions, Rebuild Thumbnails, and finally Repair Database.

Try rebuilding as we all, after making a backup. But some corruptions to books cannot be repaired at all. Then it only helps to delete the book and start over. For example, we had recently seen a bug, that corrupts a book, if places are added to a map in certain themes.

iPhoto book not available in library copy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.