Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating cards: Apple pay will be available when updates are complete

I was in my Passbook application to remove a canceled card. But when I looked at the remaining card, it came with a notice to the effect of "UPDATING CARDS: Apple pay will be available when updates are complete. Nothing seems to be happening in terms of an update.

I'd hate to be in the store line, try to pay, and have it not work. Any thoughts on what's happening?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 6:59 AM

Hi! Double click on home button, slide old screens up an out, may need to restart. Good practice to clear out used screens at least once a week as they place a drag on processing. I’ve found that this helps when game screens stick too.

9 replies

Jan 26, 2016 5:50 PM in response to sean.peters

I know this post is a little old but I just experienced this so I thought I'd respond for the benefit of anyone who happens to land here in the future. It was very awkward when I was at the store and suddenly couldn't use Apple Pay. Thankfully I had my purse out in my car so that saved the day.

So, I had put a couple new cards into my "apple pay wallet" last night and then ended up with this "updating" message when I went to use apple pay tonight. I found on another thread the instruction to close the wallet (by double clicking home and then swiping up) and then turn phone off and on. This fixed the problem for me. Apple pay now looks like it's working fine.

Jan 27, 2016 2:18 AM in response to RobS17

RobS17 wrote:

When you are issued with a new card you don't need to add the new card to Apple Pay as it's automatically updated by the bank. For example, if you bank with Nationwide Building Society, they have this on there website: ..

This is not necessarily correct.

Some banks / issuers automatically associate replacement cards with the existing Device Account Number, so you can continue using the same card account or bank account via Apple Pay without needing to do anything yourself.

Some other banks / issuers require you to remove the original card and add the new one separately.

The method may also differ depending on card type (eg debit vs credit) and/or circumstances (eg lost card vs routine replacement upon expiry).

Check with your card issuer to find out which method applies in any given instance.

Updating cards: Apple pay will be available when updates are complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.