Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change to maps has big gaps

Before the changeover to Apple Maps, Find my iPhone via icloud.com would show exactly where devices were. Now, since last month, it starts out about a mile away. Then you zoom in and the locations change- as well as the map is in chunks with gray grids in between them. For instance, now I ran it when the devices are in the house. I zoom in and it shows my house/buildings/yard split up with gray strips in between and some buildings are appearing in multiple chunks. It shows one device in a gray strip and another out by the barn. Why is the map broken up into repeating squares?

I know other people are complaining about Apple Maps not having completely updated streets or buildings labeled, but my problem is not with minor inaccuracies, it is with being unable to even have a decent map AT ALL.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 11:24 AM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Bjscheel

I have the same problem on my MacBook in Chrome. I've tried clearing cached images and files with no improvement. This problem seems to have started within the past week or two. Prior to that the map worked fine.

In Safari and Firefox, the map looks fine today. But I could have sworn that Safari had the same problem a few days ago.

It looks fine on my iPhone in the Find my Phone app.

This is what it looks like in Chrome. No matter what my zoom level or geographic area, the map has gaps and duplicated areas.

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2015 5:11 PM in response to NikD

Ya, it's been that way on Chrome browsers since day 1, the day Apple switched from Google to Apple maps last year. Even if you mashed the tiles together to remove the gaps there's still the duplicated areas. The dot isn't displayed on the actual location (well according to whatever part of whatever tile it is drawn on) but rather diagonally away from it. Since both Opera and Chrome browsers use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(layout_engine) I really don't know the reason for this.

Change to maps has big gaps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.