Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCloud to restore old iPad to new iPad.

First of all I am 82 years old and have never worked with iTunes or iCloud, just Windows. I do have a network.

My stepson gave my wife a iPad2 for Christmas and I am helping her get the new one set up (scary). I know I can use the iCloud backup from the old one to restore the new one.

Her Win7 desktop has iCloud which shows the automatic daily original iPad backup. Her desktop iCloud does not show the desktop having been backuped to the iCloud. I don't know if the desktop needs to be backuped to the iCloud or do we use the desktop to restore the old IPad backup to the new one?

After getting the new one restored I plan to get her to subscribe to iTunes Match.

I hope I don't get you as confused as I am.

Dell PC, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 10:36 AM

1 reply

Jan 5, 2015 1:46 PM in response to nodsirrah

Hello nodsirrah,

It sounds like you have verified that the previous iPad has indeed been backing up to iCloud and need to restore that backup to the new iPad. The following article should help you get that accomplised, named:

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

Restore from an iCloud backup

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If a newer version of iOS is available, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.

2. Make sure you have a recent backup to restore from.

• On your iOS 8 device: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup.

• On your iOS 7 device: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage, then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup.

For information about backing up manually now, see Back up your iOS device to iCloud. If you don’t see a backup you expected to be there, see the Apple Support article If you need help restoring an iCloud backup.

3. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”

4. In the Setup Assistant, proceed to “Set up your device,” tap Restore from a Backup, then sign in to iCloud.

5. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

For help deciding which backup to restore from, including information about restoring from another device’s backup, see the Apple Support article If you need help restoring an iCloud backup.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Using iCloud to restore old iPad to new iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.